Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2022/12/04 20:40:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] Proposal of guidelines for individuals <> businesses Apache Way compliant relationships

Hello everyone,

I would like to start a discussion on something I've been thinking and
discussing with a number of people offline, before I brought it here
for wider discussion.

I want to (eventually) propose to the board of the ASF to publish
(formally among other ASF guidelines) a document that would make it
clearer to both businesses and individuals what kind of business
relations are "good" and "comply" with the Apache Way.

The document is short, and follows - I think - the spirit of other
guidelines and policies that the ASF publishes - in terms of being
succinct, helpful and informative, but presenting the "spirit" of the
guidelines rather than "precise implementation" of it.

More context about the need is in the document - and I would really
love people to take a close look at "whys" in the documentation. I
opened the document for comments - so feel free to comment there if
you have some concrete small proposals, but I think for the wider
audience we should make "general" comments here in the comm devlist.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vp0eOeAHhRuTtps5I602MPduW7hYxtPORkkDtnlrIFo/edit

Some more comments  - more personal - why do I personally think we need it?

I think sustainability and longevity of the Foundation and the PMCs it
shepherds should be of uttermost importance. And I think in order to
achieve that, we need more individuals at different stages of their
professional career.- younger, more experienced, seasoned to be able
to make the contribution to Apache Projects independently from their
Employer funding, an important factor in the sustainability and
longevity - strengthening vendor neutrality and other Apache Way
approach.

I am an example of an individual who established relationships with 5
different businesses for my OSS contributions, and thanks to that I
can "make a living" from being an open-source contributor. I even get
enough "living" that I can afford to spend (exclusively) my own money
to go (as I did last week) to be a panelist and represent Open-Source
practitioners at the EU commission in Brussels at the workshops
https://swforum.eu/sustainability, together with Roman, Dirk and
Geertjan (and maybe there were others I am not aware of).

For me the workshops were very interesting, not only because we were
able to pass a message to those who later will be participating in
creating the laws and regulations, but also because I found that there
are also others who have the same struggles I want to address in the
document. Among other, undoubtedly important topics, I felt there were
many voices on how individuals are struggling with establishing
relations with businesses that are stakeholders in the open software
they contribute to - procurement, contracts, expectations were all
present in the voices I've heard. I could be biased of course, and
hear only what I wanted to hear stronger than other voices, but still
I think I've heard enough of the very same topics I raised in the
document.

But coming back to why I think it is needed?

I had pretty unique experience, drive and capabilities (and quite a
persistence) to get where I got now with being full-time open-source
contributor. But it was far from easy. I got a number of bits and
pieces together from various conversations and documents in order to
be able to negotiate proper contracts, know what I can expect and also
I had to convince the business partners of mine (yes - partners as I
treat them and they treat me) that what I want in the contracts (and
needs to be present due to the nature of cooperation and ASF
expectations) is OK for them. I WISH I had such a document handy when
I was negotiating my contract with Some companies (8 months was the
longest). That would have cut many discussions and off-tracks - mostly
because both parties would know for sure that the expectations of OSS
contributions are different and that they are very different from the
"standard" service contracts.

I think not many of the people who would like to be full-time
contributors will have enough financial stability, persistence,
experience in contract negotiations and sometimes just the stamina and
be bold enough to go through that without any guidelines and help. A
good example was when I was not aware that I should really publicly
state that my contributions will continue regardless if I am paid or
not - I only learned that from a comment in one of the discussions
with "longtimers" on one of the devlists.

And I think just raising awareness to both - individual and businesses
that such cooperation is not only possible but also perfectly OK with
the ASF as long as it follows certain guidelines

I also think (and I have some discussions that confirm that) that
having such guidelines published by the ASF, would enable 3rd party
companies to start providing services that would make it even easier:
payments, contract negotiations and signing, legal responsibilities,
lead generation - having such guidelines in place would remove the
need of discussion "Are we ok with ASF guidelines or not" ? And those
3rd parties will even be able to use the "we are compliant with the
ASF guidelines" message when talking to the contributors which will
make them more trustworthy.

I would love to hear what others think about it.

Any constructive comments?

Do you also find such guidelines useful and helpful ?

Have I gone too far (or not too far in trying to describe what I
understand is important?

Eager to hear your thoughts.

J.

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposal of guidelines for individuals <> businesses Apache Way compliant relationships

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
And in case you cannot see the attachment because of mailing list
policies - feel free to reach me out directly - I will send you a copy
by whatever means is convenient for you.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.