Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Edouard De Oliveira <do...@yahoo.fr> on 2007/10/31 15:33:27 UTC

Re : [Announce] SubEthaSMTP 2.0 released (now with MINA support)

Hi Trustin,

>Congratulations first of all!  I'd better add SubEthaSMTP to our

>related projects list page now.

Well that's good news :)

I did get the common problems with SSL that were in fact, most of the time, related with the JCE's limited strength jurisdiction. I also ran into sockets problems due to OS limitations.
When it came to testing i had to rewrite part of the JMX instrumentation to get some statistics for tuning purposes. But as i had limited hardware (only 2 win/x86 stations) i just scratched the surface of performance testing.
The fact is that MINA can't do all the work, you have to tune the JVM, the OS and make sure the network infrasture can stand with what
MINA's NIO brings to the developper. I think this is the real deal and unfortunatelly there isn't any magical solutions out there.

>How did you deal with big messages like 10MB
attachments?
SubethaSMTP core already had a feature to switch the in-memory stream to a temp file backed stream when a certain limit is reached (actually set to 5MB but the API allow to tweak it) so this was not a real problem after i figured out how to convert the ByteBuffer data to an Inputstream (the IoSessionInputStream is deeply hidden ^^) in order to comply with the SUN's mail API.

The fact that SubethaSMTP already had a well-designed core made it rather easy to switch to MINA even though i was new to SubethaSMTP code and that's the beauty of it.
Hope these few lines gave to the list reader the same feeling of usefullness, simplicity & power i got while using MINA.

Regards,
-Edouard De Oliveira-
http://tedorg.free.fr/en/projects.php