Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Ravishankar Nair <ra...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/09 18:08:17 UTC

Running Hadoop on Windows 7

All,

I have followed the BUILDING.TXT provided with the Hadoop source
distribution and built correctly the Hadoop distribution for Windows 7.

I could start dfs and yarn successfully.

However when I type the following commands:-

*Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft
Corporation.  All rights reserved.C:\Windows\System32>cd \C:\>cd
MyArchiveC:\MyArchive>cd hadoopC:\MyArchive\hadoop>cd
sbinC:\MyArchive\hadoop\sbin>start-dfs.cmdC:\MyArchive\hadoop\sbin>start-yarn.cmdstarting
yarn daemonsC:\MyArchive\hadoop\sbin>hadoop fs -copyFromLocal  ?    ?*

What should be the format for source and destination ? I tries all ways,
giving full path in Windows format and *nix format, not working. CYGWIN64
is in my path. Please help on how to run the same successfully if anyone
has done it, thanks
--
Warmest Regards,

Ravi

RE: Running Hadoop on Windows 7

Posted by Ian Jackson <Ia...@trilliumsoftware.com>.
The parameters need to be URI and use '/'. Taking the sample "hadoop dfs -copyFrom windows7 hadoopfile". The first thing is that command name is dfs as opposed to fs. The windows7 file must use '/' (a drive letter followed by a colon is allowed; i.e. C:/data/fileToHadoop). The hadoopfile is the target on the Hadoop file systems with slashes.

If you use fs as opposed to dfs, the following error occurs:
C:\apache\hadoop-2.2.0\bin>hadoop fs -copyFromLocal junk /junk
The system cannot find the batch label specified - make_command_arguments