Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/13 05:20:42 UTC

[mentors][cnd] Managing the CND donation

Hi,

Seems there may be some progress on cleaning up the C/C++ code, so I wanted
to check what is the best/correct way to proceed.

Obviously, this needs to go through the IP Clearance. At the same time, it
is IMO not realistic to expect a single person will be able to prepare all
CND for IP Clearance in one step (that includes cleaning dependencies and
license headers).

So, I wonder if the following process would fit:
1. have a vote here, about accepting the donation
2. have a development repository, like apache/netbeans.cnd, where the
preparation for IP Clearance would take place. Presumably, we would add
some warnings into to the README, like "Unfinished work on donation, didn't
go through the IP Clearance yet."
2a. if it is not possible to have it under Apache NetBeans, maybe it can be
under Incubator?
3. do (finish) the cleanup
4. have the IP Clearance vote on Incubator
5. merge CND into the mainline

Any comments on this? How should be large-scale donations like CND handled?

Thanks,
     Jan

Re: [mentors][cnd] Managing the CND donation

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
+1 for just using an integration branch...

-Sven

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
That would be good then.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brad Walker <bw...@musings.com>.
I've been actively "working" on the CND donation and Jan has done great
work getting things pulled together. The whole reason that I got involved
with Netbeans is to get ready for this day. 8-)

Having said that, I've asked him some questions directly. One of those is
how to get my "changes" checked in.

I believe this is the reason he mentioned this. So thanks.

You folks have far more experience than I do with Netbeans but my comment
is if there is a branch in the main repo where I can start to get things
cleared up that would be great. I'm really looking for the easiest solution
here and that sounds like it.

-brad w.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.