Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com> on 2021/05/05 21:34:05 UTC

application data schema not being parsed in torque-4.0 / turbine 5.0

Hello turbine users,

I feel like I have asked this question before and don't remember the
answer (if there was one).

I have an old project where I had made extensive use of the
application-data.xml - it was still based on turbine-2.3.3 and I am
upgrading this app now to the latest and greatest since I need to use it
on another project.

I had it generating screens based on a templating system I could
configure from the application-data.xml (I would define for example
multiple choice questions and have all possible values defined in the
xml schema)...

It worked great and allowed me to generate these "form" apps quickly
since I can re-use the question types and options pretty easily.

An example:

I have grouped questions by top level..

<QuestionGroup RefId="1" Name="Poster Data" DisplayOrder="1"/>

Then, the actual questions assigned to a group have properties like the
following:

  <SelectQuestion RefId="10"     GroupId="1" DisplayOrder="1"
Question="ReporterType" Label="Who is posting"     HasOther="0"
Instructions="HCP: An HCP includes doctors, nurses, pharmacists and
other professional health care providers." />
  <SelectQuestion RefId="11"     GroupId="1" DisplayOrder="2"
Question="NoYesOption"  Label="Patient's own experience"
HasOther="0"     Instructions="If post is from a patient, does it
represent their own experience?" />
  <SelectQuestion RefId="12"     GroupId="1" DisplayOrder="3"
Question="AgeGroup"      Label="Patient age range"     HasOther="0"
Instructions="" />
  <SelectQuestion RefId="13"     GroupId="1" DisplayOrder="4"
Question="Gender"          Label="Patient gender"     HasOther="0"
Instructions="" />

... then for "Question" I had defined options to select from... HasOther
is a flag to allow for additional free text entry.

for the first one above, "Who is posting" would have the following
options in a drop down select control:

   <SelectOption RefId="51" DisplayOrder="1" Question="ReporterType"
Name="Unknown" DefaultOption="1"/>
   <SelectOption RefId="52" DisplayOrder="2" Question="ReporterType"
Name="Patient/consumer" DefaultOption="0"/>
   <SelectOption RefId="53" DisplayOrder="3" Question="ReporterType"
Name="HCP" DefaultOption="0"/>
   <SelectOption RefId="54" DisplayOrder="4" Question="ReporterType"
Name="Other Family Member or Friend" DefaultOption="0"/>

If I have to extract all of this and generate SQL again from the XML
myself, that is going to be a lot of work.

I can get things to load if I manually convert and stick into the
application-data.sql when creating a new app from scratch, but the new
setup simply ignores my XML file for application data.... kind of annoying.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Did I miss something in the torque
setup that would make it load this?

Thanks!

Jeff

Re: Antwort: Re: application data schema not being parsed in torque-4.0 / turbine 5.0

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Am 06.05.2021 um 12:57 schrieb Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>:

> Yea, I haven't used this code in 5 years, and this may just be a one off project this time, so not sure how much effort I can put into it for now.  It was pretty cool how it worked though.  Put it on the list of things I would like to work on in the future :-)
>
> I could see it easily being a maven torque target... I was able to just re-use my old code and have it generate the SQL I needed for this project.

Let me suggest to look at Liquibase for tasks like these. I once wrote a XSLT for converting from the Torque files to Liquibase, it was easy.

Bye, Thomas

Re: Antwort: Re: application data schema not being parsed in torque-4.0 / turbine 5.0

Posted by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>.
Yea, I haven't used this code in 5 years, and this may just be a one off
project this time, so not sure how much effort I can put into it for
now.  It was pretty cool how it worked though.  Put it on the list of
things I would like to work on in the future :-)

I could see it easily being a maven torque target... I was able to just
re-use my old code and have it generate the SQL I needed for this project.

-

Jeff

Von:    Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>
An:     user@turbine.apache.org