Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2004/09/03 21:31:04 UTC

Subversion?

Last I heard, Ted setup a test subversion repository and everyone seemed
happy with it.  Is there anything stopping plans to go ahead and migrate
our CVS repository?

I've recently setup several subversion installations and am willing to
do whatever it takes to get Struts migrated.  Let me know if this is
still desired and what I can do to help.

Don

Re: Subversion?

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:31:04 -0400, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> Last I heard, Ted setup a test subversion repository and everyone seemed
> happy with it.  Is there anything stopping plans to go ahead and migrate
> our CVS repository?

That's a MME (merely a matter of effort :-) task.  I've played with
the SVN repository, and it is very nice ... especially how easy it is
to move subdirectory trees around.

> I've recently setup several subversion installations and am willing to
> do whatever it takes to get Struts migrated.  Let me know if this is
> still desired and what I can do to help.

That would be great.  The next step would be a vote here on formally
moving (which you could easily initiate), followed by communication
with the infrastructure team (infrastructure@apache.org) to actually
get the conversion done.  They will typically:

* Mark the CVS repository as read-only

* Migrate the data, including the CVS history

* Ask us to confirm that it works

* Archive the CVS stuff

And we'd need to then update all our web site stuff (and nightly build
scripts, and so on).

The only reason we might want to wait is to talk more about what the
new repository structure should be ... but I think that it's so easy
to reorganize an SVN repository after the fact that we should not
wait.

> Don

Craig