Posted to dev@buildr.apache.org by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> on 2008/04/28 19:47:34 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE]: Buildr 1.3 release

Vote passed with +7 (+6 PPMC) and no -1.
Assaf

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE]: Buildr 1.3 release

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any word on when this will be available on the RubyForge mirrors?

We're waiting for the PPMC vote to be tallied on Thursday, so hopefully
Friday.

Assaf

> Daniel
>

> Assaf Arkin wrote:
> >
> > Vote passed with +7 (+6 PPMC) and no -1.
> > Assaf
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Up for vote, the much-anticipated Buildr 1.3 release, our first official
> >> Apache release.
> >> We're voting to make a release based on the source distribution,
> >> available
> >> as both Zip and Tarball, here:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~assaf/buildr/1.3.0/distro/
> >>
> >> Specifically:
> >>

> http://people.apache.org/~assaf/buildr/1.3.0/distro/buildr-1.3.0-incubating.tgz
> >>

> http://people.apache.org/~assaf/buildr/1.3.0/distro/buildr-1.3.0-incubating.zip
> >>

> >> That source distribution was used to generate two Gem packages, for Ruby
> >> 1.8.6 and JRuby 1.1, available here:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~assaf/buildr/1.3.0/distro/
> >>
> >> The documentation generated for this release is available here:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~assaf/buildr/1.3.0/site/
> >> http://people.apache.org/~assaf/buildr/1.3.0/site/buildr.pdf
> >>
> >> The official specification against which this release was tested:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~assaf/buildr/1.3.0/site/specs.html
> >>
> >> Assaf

CTO, Intalio
http://www.intalio.com

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE]: Buildr 1.3 release

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

n8han wrote:

> Daniel Spiewak wrote:

>>  http://www.nabble.com/file/p16988713/buildfile buildfile
>>

> Oh my. I was going to offer to produce a dummy jar for databinder-parent
> but it's only one out of six. Still though, if that works it's much
> shorter than naming all the transitive deps.
>
> Nathan

Yeah, it's a bit rum.  I can deal with it in the short-term, but obviously
if it's still not working to produce an Eclipse project then we have more
serious issues.  :-)

Daniel

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE]: Buildr 1.3 release

Posted by n8han <na...@technically.us>.

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.
Ok, that seemed to have resolved the POM-only problem (sort of, it's still a
pain).  However, it still refuses to generate an eclipse project file.  I'm
attaching (or trying anyway) a buildfile which does this for me.  Basically,
buildr just silently refuses to generate the metadata:

C:\Users\Daniel Spiewak\Development\workspace\TestApp>buildr eclipse
(in C:/Users/Daniel Spiewak/Development/workspace/TestApp, development)
Completed in 1.071s

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
wrote:

> It's not that the POM is missing, it's that there's no JAR which
> corresponds
> to the POM.  This is less often a case of broken deployment (though that
> does happen) and more usually where a large project with complicated
> dependencies tries to simplify their deployment by building a
> "super-package" which depends upon everything below it.  In short, it's a
> package which exists solely for the purpose of transitive dependencies.  In
> my test case, the super-package is ``databinder-parent``.  I don't remember
> what the artifact name is for the Hibernate super-package.
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding your notes in the troubleshooting doc, but it
> looks like that just fixes the problems with missing POM.  Is there any way
> to work around the non-JAR?  (since it isn't really missing)

Same thing, enhance the artifact to create a fake (empty) zip:

artifact 'example:com:jar:1.0' do |task|
  mkpath File.dirname(task.to_s)
  Zip::ZipOutputStream.open task.to_s
end

When I run this test, I get an error like this:

Failed to download org.apache.wicket:wicket:pom:1.3.2, tried the following
repositories:
http://databinder.net/repo/

Assaf

> Daniel
>

> Assaf Arkin wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BUILDR-63
> >>
> >> Might want to hold off on that release.  It seems that the bug with
> >> POM-only
> >> projects still hasn't been fixed.  Since there are a large number of
> >> projects (including Hibernate) which make use of this to aggregate
> >> transitive dependencies, this really isn't something which can be
> ignored
> >> for 1.3 unless we're giving up on the idea of stable transitive
> >> dependencies
> >> in this release.
> >

> > I have some ideas on how to do transitive dependencies right, but those
> > will
> > have to wait for after the 1.3.  It's a pretty big deal and something I'd
> > like to see as the main focus for 1.4 (along with version matching and
> > OSGi
> > support).
> >
> > The transitive method is still marked as experimental, it's supposed to
> > carry us until we get real transitive support, so it should be fixed but
> > can't hold the release.
> >
> > The quick workaround until we get to test and fix it, is to fake the
> > missing
> > artifact/POM:
> >

> http://people.apache.org/~assaf/buildr/1.3.0/site/troubleshooting.html#missing_pom_breaks_transitive_dependencies
> >
> > Assaf