Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Rieger <en...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/13 11:08:15 UTC

svn server, nfs, dev and prod set up questions

hi all, have a few questions

am in the process of setting up a new dev group, and whith that they get
a new repository server. we chose svn. since we only have 70 gigs on
local hard drive, we use nfs mounts for all data, web sites etc....

our dev env will grow to be about 400 gigs worth of files and we
therefore must put the files on our nfs mount. our nfs mounts as the svn
user, and i added all the folks to the svn group. i know that the great
svn bible styates that one should not use bdb on a nfs mounted volume,
so i tried fs. still no go.

do you good fellas have any advice for a new entry into this svn world
of yours.

Steve Rieger
(212) 804-1131   (Work)
(646) 335-8915   (Cell)
chozrim           (aim)

Re: svn server, nfs, dev and prod set up questions

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 13, 2005, at 1:44 PM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>>   'svnx' is a proprietary closed-source client

Wow, two strikes!  I had always ignored 'svnx' because it was closed-
source.  But apparently the latest version has switched to GPL, and
the source code is up.   Maybe it's worth hacking on... if only to
make it use APIs instead of parsing the commandline.

- Ben, in need of a vacation

Re: svn server, nfs, dev and prod set up questions

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 13, 2005, at 1:36 PM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2005, at 1:28 PM, Steve Rieger wrote:
>

>> it seems that the gui client on mac os x (svnx) does not work with
>> --fs-type fsfs,
>>

> Then complain to the authors of 'svnx' ("La Chose Interactive") and
> tell them to stop using subversion 1.0 libraries, when we're up to
> subversion 1.2 now.   'svnx' is a proprietary closed-source client
> that has nothing to do with this list.  Sorry.

Hm, maybe I spoke too soon.  It seems that 'svnx' is just a wrapper
around the ordinary 'svn' binary package (ugh).  So if it's unable to
open an FSFS repository, then that means your 'svn' binary is 1.0.
You need to upgrade to 1.1 or 1.2.

Re: svn server, nfs, dev and prod set up questions

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Steve Rieger <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Prévost <pr...@gmail.com>.
> All you need to do is run 'svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs' on your
> NFS volume.

And eventually set up the server to use it ...

--
Romain Prévost
Epitech promotion 2007

Re: svn server, nfs, dev and prod set up questions

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 13, 2005, at 6:08 AM, Steve Rieger wrote:

> our dev env will grow to be about 400 gigs worth of files and we
> therefore must put the files on our nfs mount. our nfs mounts as
> the svn user, and i added all the folks to the svn group. i know
> that the great svn bible styates that one should not use bdb on a
> nfs mounted volume, so i tried fs. still no go.

Would you like to describe an actual problem?  If you did, we might
be able to suggest an actual solution.  :-)

The phrase "still no go" doesn't say much...