Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alter <al...@xs4all.nl> on 2007/12/07 10:36:02 UTC

How to convert global sitemap variables to properties in 2.2

Hi All,

I am trying to migrate a cocoon site to 2.2.  My old sitemap used global
variables defined in the sitemap and addressed as {global:varname}.
I already found that global sitemap variables have been deprecated,
and that I should use properties instead.

HOWEVER: after extensive searching I cannot find the correct way to
define such variables in a <name>.properties file, and what that file's
location should be.  I tried to set use-default-location to false and set
my own location, but that didn't work either.

So my questions are:

1.  Where to put such a properties file?
2.  Can the "name" part of "name.properties" be anything or should
     it be derived from something?
3.  What is the correct prefix to use to specify such a global variable?
     Should each line read "%varname=value", or should there be a
     prefix referring to a specific block?  If so, which block?

Hope someone can give me a clue...

Job Honig

Re: How to convert global sitemap variables to properties in 2.2

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Alter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to migrate a cocoon site to 2.2.  My old sitemap used global
> variables defined in the sitemap and addressed as {global:varname}.
> I already found that global sitemap variables have been deprecated,
> and that I should use properties instead.
>
> HOWEVER: after extensive searching I cannot find the correct way to
> define such variables in a <name>.properties file, and what that file's
> location should be.  I tried to set use-default-location to false and set
> my own location, but that didn't work either.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1.  Where to put such a properties file?
You can put it in your block (jar file) under META-INF/cocoon/properties
or in your web application under WEB-INF/classes/cocoon/properties

> 2.  Can the "name" part of "name.properties" be anything or should
>      it be derived from something?
It can be anything, but it should be a valid filename of course :) Keep
in mind that property files are processed in alphabetical order.

> 3.  What is the correct prefix to use to specify such a global variable?
>      Should each line read "%varname=value", or should there be a
>      prefix referring to a specific block?  If so, which block?
You can use any name, so no prefix required - all properties
used/defined by Cocoon itself will have the prefix "org.apache.cocoon"
so there shouldn't be any name clashes.

HTH
Carsten

--