Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com> on 2012/11/21 02:23:17 UTC

is there a way to prevent abusing rows parameter

silly question

is there any configuration value I can set to prevent someone from entering
a bad value for the rows parameter?

ie to prevent something like "&rows=100000000"  from crashing my servers?

the server I am looking at is a solr v3.6

Re: is there a way to prevent abusing rows parameter

Posted by Amit Nithian <an...@gmail.com>.
If you're going to validate the rows parameter, may as well validate the
start parameter too.. I've run into problems with start and rows with
ridiculously high values crash our servers.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Does that 'someone' has direct access to Solr endpoint? Is that a right
thing to do in a first place?

But assuming they do (e.g. intranet), you could build on Jack's suggestion
and create a couple of query-handler end-points that are only different in
invariant raw count value. So, your default search goes to search10, your
25 results page goes to search25, etc.

Regards,
   Alex.

- Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD book)

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
You could set an "invariant" parameter value, but that would mean they can't
give an override.

It might be a useful addition to Solr to have a maximum value (specified as
an invariant).

You could also simply add your own Solr "search component" that checked and
maxed the &rows.

-- Jack Krupansky