Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Dare Obasanjo <kp...@yahoo.com> on 2002/11/23 19:11:09 UTC

SiXDML in Xindice Tutorial Available

A tutorial for using SiXDML in Xindice is now
available at
http://www.25hoursaday.com/sixdml/sixdml-xindice-tutorial.html

If you are unaware of SiXDML and what it can do for
you as an XML database user then what follows is a
brief overview of the language commonly described as
"SQL for XML databases"

SiXDML is designed to be easily understood by
programmers and non-programmers alike, internet-aware,
and combine a minimum of complexity with a maximum of
functionality while being straight-forward to
implement. SiXDML aims to plug the hole that currently
exists for a data manipulation language that allows
one to query and update XML documents while also
providing a means to perform database management
activities such as creating and deleting collections.

Although numerous query languages exist for XML
including Lorel, Quilt, UnQL, XDuce, XML-QL, XPath,
XQL, XQuery and YaTL yet no popularly accepted XML
query language possesses data manipulation semantics
such as DELETE, REPLACE and INSERT that exist in a
relational data manipulation language like SQL or a
hierarchical data manipulation language like DL/I.

More information about SiXDML is available at
http://sixdml.sourceforge.net and
http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/

=====
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #59
I will never build a sentient computer smarter than I am.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Re: SiXDML in Xindice Tutorial Available

Posted by Dare Obasanjo <kp...@yahoo.com>.
--- grenoml <gr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It looks like the dev team is almost ready to
> release 1.1.
>
> How long after the 1.1 release before a version of
> sixdml would be
> available for 1.1?

I dunno. A couple of weeks, maybe a month or two
afterwards.

> How long before sixdml could support XML-RPC?

There's currently no plan that I know off for this to
happen.

=====

Posted by grenoml <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: AW: SiXDML in Xindice Tutorial Available

Posted by Dare Obasanjo <kp...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Chuck Aamdi <ch...@breconbeacons.org>.

Posted by Chuck Aamdi <ch...@breconbeacons.org>.
Dare Obasanjo wrote:

>--- Chuck Aamdi <ch...@breconbeacons.org> wrote:
>

>>Hi me again I have followed the instructions ie
>>installed antler 2.7.1
>>added to my bash_profile albeit where is the
>>SiXDML.jar file in order for
>>me to add to my CLASSPATH.
>>

>The SiXDML.jar file is available at
>http://sixdml.sourceforge.net/SiXDML.jar which is
>hyperlinked from the instructions.
>

>>I had assumed that this file was in antler So please
>>point me in the
>>right direction.
>>

>It's not part of ANTLR.
>
>=====
>THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #59
>I will never build a sentient computer smarter than I am.

>http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Cheers for the quick responce

Posted by Dare Obasanjo <kp...@yahoo.com>.
--- Chuck Aamdi <ch...@breconbeacons.org> wrote:
> Hi me again I have followed the instructions ie
> installed antler 2.7.1
> added to my bash_profile albeit where is the
> SiXDML.jar file in order for
> me to add to my CLASSPATH.

The SiXDML.jar file is available at
http://sixdml.sourceforge.net/SiXDML.jar which is
hyperlinked from the instructions.

> I had assumed that this file was in antler So please
> point me in the
> right direction.

It's not part of ANTLR.

=====

Posted by Chuck Aamdi <ch...@breconbeacons.org>.
Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>Cheers Chuck
>>

>>--
>>Regards
>>Chuck Robert Amadi
>>ICT Dept Systems Programmer.
>>Rhaglenydd Systemau Adran ICT.
>>Roll on Linux Power too deliver Open Source Nirvana.
>>Rholiwch ar Linux er mwyn dosbarthu Agor Tarddiad
>>Nirvana.
>>
>>Before you criticize someone,
>>you should walk a mile in their shoes.
>>That way, when you criticize them,
>>you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.
>>

>=====
>THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #59
>I will never build a sentient computer smarter than I am.

>Yahoo! Mail Plus  Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
>http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Hi me again I have followed the instructions ie installed antler 2.7.1
added to my bash_profile albeit where is the
SiXDML.jar file <http://sixdml.sourceforge.net/SiXDML.jar>  in order for
me to add to my CLASSPATH.

Posted by Dare Obasanjo <kp...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Chuck Aamdi <ch...@breconbeacons.org>.
Dare Obasanjo wrote:

>A tutorial for using SiXDML in Xindice is now
>available at
>http://www.25hoursaday.com/sixdml/sixdml-xindice-tutorial.html
>
>If you are unaware of SiXDML and what it can do for
>you as an XML database user then what follows is a
>brief overview of the language commonly described as
>"SQL for XML databases"
>
>SiXDML is designed to be easily understood by
>programmers and non-programmers alike, internet-aware,
>and combine a minimum of complexity with a maximum of
>functionality while being straight-forward to
>implement. SiXDML aims to plug the hole that currently
>exists for a data manipulation language that allows
>one to query and update XML documents while also
>providing a means to perform database management
>activities such as creating and deleting collections.
>
>Although numerous query languages exist for XML
>including Lorel, Quilt, UnQL, XDuce, XML-QL, XPath,
>XQL, XQuery and YaTL yet no popularly accepted XML
>query language possesses data manipulation semantics
>such as DELETE, REPLACE and INSERT that exist in a
>relational data manipulation language like SQL or a
>hierarchical data manipulation language like DL/I.
>
>More information about SiXDML is available at
>http://sixdml.sourceforge.net and
>http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/
>
>=====
>THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #59
>I will never build a sentient computer smarter than I am.

>Yahoo! Mail Plus  Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
>http://mailplus.yahoo.com

I have attepted this link - Connection was refused Please whoever is
maintaining this site acknowledge if possible when it will be available
as I have great need to accomplish the tutorial for using SiXDML within
Xindice/Cocoon

http://www.25hoursaday.com/sixdml/sixdml-xindice-tutorial.html <!-- connection was refused -->

Cheers Chuck

RE: SiXDML Available

Posted by Dare Obasanjo <kp...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stefan Lischke <li...@novacom.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > A tutorial for using SiXDML in Xindice is now
>
> Nice Work, never heard of this SQL style language
> for working with a xmldb.
>
> But i have one question, do u really think a
> language which is not in XML
> format is accepted by all those XML and XMLDB users?

The W3C, the 3 major relational RDBMS vendors and a
number of the native XML DBMS vendors seem to think so
given the flurry of activity around SQLX
[http://www.sqlx.org] and XQuery
[http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/].

> Im working on a project, where everything is stored
> in the xmldb and i
> wonder how i can store and combine sixdml as natural
> language.
> Is there a XML version of sixdml available?

I originally designed SiXDML with this in mind but
never got around to speccing the XML syntax. This
should be a weekend's work tops. Unfortunately I don't
have a free weekend for the rest of the year. :)

> thanx stefan
>
> P.S.
> Whats with creating an index. with xindice it only
> works if i create the
> index before adding the documents, does create index
> create a new
> collection, creates the index and adds the documents
> after this?

An index can only be created on an existing
collection.

=====

RE: SiXDML Available

Posted by Dare Obasanjo <kp...@yahoo.com>.