Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Philipp Hoschka <Ph...@sophia.inria.fr> on 1998/09/18 20:14:58 UTC

application/smil MIME type (was: Re: XML MIME types)

People pointed me to an ongoing discussion about which
XML MIME types to include in the default configuration
of Apache. I guess I'm a bit late in joining this (the
message i have is from Sept 4, appended), but better late
than never.

I wanted to ask whether the following MIME type could
be included:
application/smil

This is for SMIL (Synchronized Multimedia Integration
Language), an XML-based language that allows to integrate
several media objects (images, text, audio, video) into a
timed multimedia presentation.

W3C has issued SMIL as a recommendation
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-smil/

The following Internet Draft describes this MIME type:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoschka-smil-media-type-02.txt

The IETF application area directors have been asked to
issue this as an RFC.

SMIL has been implemented by several people, for more
info see
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/#SMIL

Would be great if this would make it into the
Apache config files

Thanks !

-Philipp
   Philipp Hoschka                  |
   http://www.w3.org/people/hoschka |
				    |   World Wide Web Consortium
				    |   MIT-LCS
   ph@w3.org                        |   545, Technology Square
   Tel:(+1) 617.258.0604            |   Cambridge, MA 02139
   Fax:(+1) 617.258.5999            |   USA