Posted to users@maven.apache.org by konkere <em...@inbox.ru> on 2008/12/21 22:28:50 UTC

possibility to control an artifact version when installing/deploying/releasing?

the feature i'm interested in is to be able to prohibit a developer to
install/deploy/release an updated artifact under the same version that is
already in the repository.

our previous release management system was build around the concept of
complete uniqueness of a version, which meant that if a project is in the
repository under a certain version, then the only way to release this
project again is to change the version. it wasn't possible to overwrite the
artifact using one of the existing versions.

so i wonder, if there's a similar way to organize releases in maven? docs
for release and deploy plugins don't say anything about this particular
functionality.

Re: possibility to control an artifact version when installing/deploying/releasing?

Posted by Yoav Landman <yl...@gmail.com>.
Artifactory 1.3.0 has this feature (redeploying/overriding the same artifact
version is controlled by the "delete" permission).

Posted by konkere <em...@inbox.ru>.

Yoav  Landman wrote:

> True. We are updating the 1.3 docs towards the final release in a couple
> of days :).

great, looking forward to reading the updated docs!

Yoav  Landman wrote:

> And yes, full LDAP/AD integration is already there for quite some time in
> 1.3 with full UI configuration. You are welcome to give it a go.

is there a manual? i can't believe UI can be so self-explanatory from what i
saw about integrating LDAP in nexus and archiva ;).

anyway i've tried nexus today, tomorrow let be the artifactory day :). i
think i'd set up several repos using both nexus and artifactory and try to
use them as we plan to. and then see which manager wins ;).

Re: possibility to control an artifact version when installing/deploying/releasing?

Posted by Yoav Landman <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by konkere <em...@inbox.ru>.
yep, i've already found out how to do that in nexus :)

RE: possibility to control an artifact version when installing/deploying/releasing?

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.
Is this what you are wanting to do?

http://nexus.sonatype.org/about/faq.html#QHowdoIdisableartifactredeploym
ent

I am already using it with Nexus.

---
Todd Thiessen

Posted by konkere <em...@inbox.ru>.

Posted by Martin Höller <ma...@xss.co.at>.
On 22 Dec 2008, konkere wrote:

> so which manager would you suggest? i read a bit about nexus, archiva and
> artifactory on the very feature of prohibiting redeploy. nexus does it for
> sure (though role-based), while the other two seem not to handle this (and
> that is my question - is it really?).

Archiva has an open issue for it:
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM-747

- martin

RE: possibility to control an artifact version when installing/deploying/releasing?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I figured everyone knew that by now -- I am involved and associated with
Nexus. I still recommend it. ;-)

FWIW, before I was involved, I was happily using Proximity, which is now
Nexus anyway.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Brian,

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.

> On 21 Dec 2008, at 22:14, konkere <em...@inbox.ru> wrote:
>

>> Stephen Connolly-2 wrote:
>>

>>> afaik, the deploy plugin will not overwrite a version that has
>>> previously been deployed
>>>

>> and what would it do then? fail the deploy?
>>

> I think it silently continues, but as my repository manager silently
> ignores attempts to redeploy I can't say for sure

Well, I don't think this is what it does. For me, maven-deploy-plugin always
overrides without any question by default. This is in fact a problem that
should be corrected for maven 3.0...

But that's perfectly right it's configurable at the repository manager
level, which is the right solution anyway. Since even in maven 3,
redeployment of existing artifact will certainly be configurable.

See http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEPLOY-74 and more precisely
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MARTIFACT-6

Cheers

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: possibility to control an artifact version when installing/deploying/releasing?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Sent from my iPod

Posted by konkere <em...@inbox.ru>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
afaik, the deploy plugin will not overwrite a version that has
previously been deployed

certainly, the major repository managers do not allow re-deployment

the only issue you may have is what happens when you loose your
repository and have to re-construct from scm... the hard rule you
describe would prevent that recovery process

Sent from my iPod