Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2008/07/25 06:16:51 UTC

Plexus components

For those not following plexus-dev, Plexus is being moved and a lot of
the components will be archived.

I'd like to suggest we review each and either remove them, bring them
into our source tree (after reviewing licensing), or ask that they be
kept alive.

Here's what I see today, thanks to dependency-convergence:

* plexus-registry[-api|commons] +
* plexus-action
* plexus-command-line
* plexus-formica
* plexus-jabber
* plexus-jdo2 +
* plexus-mail-sender-[api|javamail|simple|test] +
* plexus-msn
* plexus-quartz
* plexus-slf4j-logging
* plexus-taskqueue
* plexus-velocity
* plexus-xwork-integration

+ are the ones that come from Redback as well

The following come uniquely from redback:
* plexus-cache[-api|ehcache]
* plexus-expression-evaluator
* plexus-digest

Is there any of these we want to push to have kept, remove
immediately, or attempt to bring in house?

I think maybe plexus-action, formica, msn, jabber and any other
notification ones could be considered for importing. There was also a
discussion on the Archiva dev list related to this, and some
suggestions for replacing some of them.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Plexus components

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Take a look at the analysis earlier in the thread, it already explains
some of it.

In particular:
- plexus-utils, plexus-component-api and plexus-spring need to keep
being used (they'll be kept in Plexus SVN though)
- plexus-container is still used in XmlRpc before it can be removed
completely (classworlds is with it)
- plexus-interactivity shouldn't be needed :) It's probably via the
release stuff.
- the mail sender was replaced in Continuum, but still used in redback
- the rest is all used - but some are unique to C listed below and
should be the first ones imported directly into the tree (eg, the
notification stuff).

Thanks,
Brett

Re: Plexus components