Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anup Ray <an...@safeguardproperties.com> on 2002/09/17 20:06:18 UTC

Problem in tomcat installation in Solaris 8.0

Hi,
I am a newbie in Tomcat. I downloaded tomcat binary version, unzipped it and
trying to start it but getting the following error. Could anybody help me
out.
Thanks---Anup Ray
anup.ray@safeguardproperties.com
_____________________________
# ./startup.sh
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program
__________________
Some more info. about my system are given below:
# uname
SunOS
# pwd
/temp/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.10/bin
# ls
bootstrap.jar       digest.sh           setclasspath.sh     tomcat.exe
catalina.bat        jasper.bat          shutdown.bat        tool-wrapper.bat
catalina.sh         jasper.sh           shutdown.sh         tool-wrapper.sh
commons-daemon.jar  jspc.bat            startup.bat
cpappend.bat        jspc.sh             startup.sh
digest.bat          setclasspath.bat    tomcat-jni.jar
# env
CATALINA_HOME=/temp/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.10
HOME=/
HZ=
JAVA_HOME=/usr/j2se
LOGNAME=root
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
SHELL=/sbin/sh
TERM=vt100
TZ=US/Eastern
#

RE: Problem in tomcat installation in Solaris 8.0

Posted by Anup Ray <an...@safeguardproperties.com>.
Thanks Kent. I traced out to a file setclasspath.sh and added a line for
JAVA_HOME over there. This solved the startup problem.
Thanks again,
Anup

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 02:06:18PM -0400, Anup Ray wrote:

> Hi,
> I am a newbie in Tomcat. I downloaded tomcat binary version, unzipped it
and
> trying to start it but getting the following error. Could anybody help me
> out.
> Thanks---Anup Ray
> anup.ray@safeguardproperties.com
> _____________________________
> # ./startup.sh
> The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
> This environment variable is needed to run this program

Well, it appears that either startup.sh or catalina.sh thinks that JAVA_HOME
is not pointing to the correct place.  Put an echo $JAVA_HOME in either (or
both) startup.sh or catalina.sh to see what they are seeing as your
JAVA_HOME

Kent

Re: Problem in tomcat installation in Solaris 8.0

Posted by Kent Perrier <kp...@ev1.net>.