Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mari Masuda <ma...@stanford.edu> on 2011/05/23 23:56:35 UTC

dates with unknown parts

Hello,

I am just getting started with Solr and have a question about date/time indexing.  I know from the javadoc documentation ( http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/schema/DateField.html ) that the format should be a restricted form of http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime-canonical-representation where the timezone is always Z.

The data I am working with is such that an exact date and time are not always known.  For example, a record in my database could contain a value like 1918-00-00T00:00:00Z to indicate that the year is 1918 but the exact month and day (let alone the time) are unknown.

I searched the list archives and found a thread ( http://marc.info/?l=solr-user&m=125438370510775&w=2 ) from a couple of years ago that is basically the same situation as mine.  I was just wondering if there had been any updates since then that would allow date/time segments with unknown values to be represented, or if I need to do some kind of kludge to make this work.  Thanks!

Mari

Re: dates with unknown parts

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
I'm not sure i understand what you're looking for but if you write about
unknown values i think of lack of precission. Solr allows you to reduce
precission of dates using the flexible DateMathParser.

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/util/DateMathParser.html