Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com> on 2014/05/14 14:47:14 UTC

[Vote] Merge The HDFS XAttrs Feature Branch (HDFS-2006) to Trunk

Hello HDFS Devs,
  I would like to call for a vote to merge the HDFS Extended Attributes (XAttrs) feature from the HDFS-2006 branch to the trunk.
  XAttrs are already widely supported on many operating systems, including Linux, Windows, and Mac OS. This will allow storing attributes for HDFS file/directory.
  XAttr consist of a name and a value and exist in one of 4 namespaces: user, trusted, security, and system. An XAttr name is prefixed with one of these namespaces, so for example, "user.myxattr".
  Consistent with ongoing awareness of Namenode memory usage, the maximum number and size of XAttrs on a file/directory are limited by a configuration parameter.
  The design document contains more details and can be found here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12644341/HDFS-XAttrs-Design-3.pdf
  Development of this feature has been tracked in JIRA HDFS-2006: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2006
  All of the development work for the feature is contained in the "HDFS-2006" branch: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/HDFS-2006
 As last tasks, we are working to support XAttrs via libhdfs, webhdfs as well as other minor improvements.
  We intend to finish those enhancements before the vote completes and otherwise we could move them to top-level JIRAs as they can be tracked independently. User document is also ready for this feature.
  Here the doc attached in JIRA:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12644787/ExtendedAttributes.html
 The XAttrs feature is backwards-compatible and enabled by default. A cluster administrator can disable it.
Testing:
 We've developed more than 70 new tests which cover the XAttrs get, set and remove APIs through DistributedFileSystem and WebHdfsFileSystem, the new XAttr CLI commands, HA, XAttr persistence in the fsimage and related.
  Additional  testing plans are documented in: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12644342/Test-Plan-for-Extended-Attributes-1.pdf
  Thanks a lot to the contributors who have helped and participated in the branch development.
  Code contributors are Yi Liu, Charles Lamb, Andrew Wang and Uma Maheswara Rao G.
 The design document incorporates feedback from many community members: Chris Nauroth, Andrew Purtell, Tianyou Li, Avik Dey, Charles Lamb, Alejandro, Andrew Wang, Tsz Wo Nicholas Sze and Uma Maheswara Rao G.
 Code reviewers on individual patches include Chris Nauroth, Alejandro, Andrew Wang, Charles Lamb, Tsz Wo Nicholas Sze and Uma Maheswara Rao G.

  Also thanks to Dhruba for bringing up this JIRA and thanks to others who participated for discussions.
This vote will run for a week and close on 5/21/2014 at 06:16 pm IST.

Here is my +1 to start with.
Regards,
Uma
(umamahesh@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>)

Re: [Vote] Merge The HDFS XAttrs Feature Branch (HDFS-2006) to Trunk

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
Great job, guys.  +1.

I don't think we need to finish libhdfs support before we merge (unless you
want to).

Colin

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
> I think you're alluding to the recent WebHDFS+ACLs compat JIRA here,

No. My comments was unrelated.

> but I
> don't think xattrs will hit the same issues. The xattr functionality is
> wholly contained within new RPC calls, and AFAIK didn't modify any existing
> client calls. You have to explicitly call "hadoop fs -getxattr" or similar,
> in which case it'll error if you're talking to an old server.

Sounds good, as long new client continues to work with the older server.

> Also note that this is just to merge to trunk, we'll be doing further
> compat testing internally before merging to branch-2.

Sounds good.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [Vote] Merge The HDFS XAttrs Feature Branch (HDFS-2006) to Trunk

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
I think you're alluding to the recent WebHDFS+ACLs compat JIRA here, but I

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Suresh,

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>>>  Thanks a lot to the contributors who have helped and participated in
>> the
>>> branch development.
>>>  Code contributors are Yi Liu, Charles Lamb, Andrew Wang and Uma
>>> Maheswara Rao G.
>>> The design document incorporates feedback from many community members:
>>> Chris Nauroth, Andrew Purtell, Tianyou Li, Avik Dey, Charles Lamb,
>>> Alejandro, Andrew Wang, Tsz Wo Nicholas Sze and Uma Maheswara Rao G.
>>> Code reviewers on individual patches include Chris Nauroth, Alejandro,
>>> Andrew Wang, Charles Lamb, Tsz Wo Nicholas Sze and Uma Maheswara Rao G.
>>>
>>>  Also thanks to Dhruba for bringing up this JIRA and thanks to others
>> who
>>> participated for discussions.
>>> This vote will run for a week and close on 5/21/2014 at 06:16 pm IST.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [Vote] Merge The HDFS XAttrs Feature Branch (HDFS-2006) to Trunk

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for the merge.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "Gangumalla, Uma" <um...@intel.com>.
I have merged this feature to Branch-2 now.

>From now onwards if any issues related to Xattrs, please merge them to branch-2 if needed.

I will merge the remaining jiras tomorrow which are related to Xattrs feature but handled as top level Jiras. Ex: DistCp(MAPREDUCE-5898) support etc

Regards,
Uma