Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2002/06/25 09:09:32 UTC

time format wrap-up? (was: a human-eye date format everyone can love)

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 10:48:04PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 07:23:08PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > > The next question is what to default for time_fmt if it isn't present in the
> > > configuration file.  :-)
> >
> > My vote is for nothing to be printed out in this case.  As I pointed
> > out before, this matches CVS's behavior.  My biggest problem with
> > CVS is that the TZ is that of the server or GMT.  -- justin
>
> Definitely +1 on doing customizability this way,

Okay. I count four +1 votes on this customizibility: Kirby, myself, Justin,
and Karl. Nobody has provided any "less than 1" votes. Sounds like a plan :-)

> and I'm even neutral
> on the question of printing out nothing if the user doesn't specify an
> "extra" format.

Step 2 :-)  but noted.

> I would only ask that we print out the extra stuff by default until
> this customizability is implemented, just to humor those who really
> depend on it :-).

Yes.

> (Btw, I think it's fine to change that default output once we *do*
> have the customizability.  That would be incompatible only in an
> overly literal sense; the part of the date that is important for
> compatibility purposes -- the first part -- wouldn't be changing.)

Right.

IMO, one small consideration is whether a user-format will screw up the
parsing of stuff *after* the date. For example:

rev 2200:  gstein | 2002-06-13 19:08:43-0700 | Thursday | 39 lines

Eek! :-)

But that's a question for later.

Regarding the *temporary* "extra" format (until we get customizability),
I've counted seven emails: myself, Karl, Sander, Blair, cmpilato, Fitz, and
David Mankin. By far, the best support was for:

  Mon, 24 Jun 2002

It got 5 +1 votes, a +0, and a -0. Nothing else was even close.

Discussion *always* remains open, so if you have further comments or
concerns, then bring them up. I would recommend that Nuutti proceed along
this plan because it is (at least) a bit closer to consensus than the
current code.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: time format wrap-up? (was: a human-eye date format everyone can love)

Posted by Josef Wolf <jw...@raven.inka.de>.
On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:09:32AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:

> Okay. I count four +1 votes on this customizibility: Kirby, myself, Justin,
> and Karl. Nobody has provided any "less than 1" votes. Sounds like a plan :-)

+1 from me, too.

> IMO, one small consideration is whether a user-format will screw up the
> parsing of stuff *after* the date. For example:
>
> rev 2200:  gstein | 2002-06-13 19:08:43-0700 | Thursday | 39 lines

Why not put the date at end of the line? Or even on its own line?

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --

Re: time format wrap-up?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 07:52:26PM +0300, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
> I'll be coding the change right now to that format - and I'll
> hopefully use apr_strftime to implement the latter part, so once the
> config file works, customization is a breeze!

Note that libsvn_subr probably can't just grab the extra format out of thin
air. You will probably need another param to the _human_nts() function, and
callers can supply it (pulling it from the config) or just pass NULL if they
don't have it.

It might mean some propagation of formats thru a few APIs, but hopefully
that can be minimized.

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 12:37:19PM +0200, Gerald Richter - ecos gmbh wrote:
> For human readability I find it really hard to read with the timezone append
> directly to the time:
>
> 2002-06-13 19:08:43-0700
>
> I personaly find it much better with an extra space
>
> 2002-06-13 19:08:43 -0700
>
> Gerald
>
> P.S. Forget about it in case I missed something in this long thread and this
> was discussed earlier...

ISO 8601 forbids the space in there.

Of course, we can still choose whatever we want:

1) ISO 8601 compat. no space.
2) ISO 8601 tweaked. include a space.

Personally, I'm in favor of compatibility.

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> Discussion *always* remains open, so if you have further comments or
> concerns, then bring them up. I would recommend that Nuutti proceed along
> this plan because it is (at least) a bit closer to consensus than the
> current code.

+1, thanks for the wrap-up Greg.

(I also think ISO compatibility is the way to go in the first portion;
that is, no space before the timezone.)

Re: time format wrap-up? (was: a human-eye date format everyone can love)

Posted by Gerald Richter - ecos gmbh <ri...@ecos.de>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi> writes:
> I'll be coding the change right now to that format - and I'll
> hopefully use apr_strftime to implement the latter part, so once the
> config file works, customization is a breeze!

I've added a note about that to issue #668.

Re: time format wrap-up? (was: a human-eye date format everyone can love)

Posted by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi>.
Greg Stein wrote:
> Discussion *always* remains open, so if you have further comments or
> concerns, then bring them up. I would recommend that Nuutti proceed
> along this plan because it is (at least) a bit closer to consensus
> than the current code.

Yes, definitely sounds good.

I'll be coding the change right now to that format - and I'll
hopefully use apr_strftime to implement the latter part, so once the
config file works, customization is a breeze!

-- Naked

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 10:48:04PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
>> Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
>>>
>>> My vote is for nothing to be printed out in this case.  As I pointed
>>> out before, this matches CVS's behavior.  My biggest problem with
>>> CVS is that the TZ is that of the server or GMT.  -- justin
>>
>> Definitely +1 on doing customizability this way,
>
> Okay. I count four +1 votes on this customizibility: Kirby, myself, Justin,
> and Karl. Nobody has provided any "less than 1" votes. Sounds like a plan :-)

Add my +1 to that aswell.

Sander