Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/04/25 20:19:02 UTC

Licensing query - Perl libraries

I've been approached by a project that wishes to enter the incubator.
They have a question regarding licensing. Their project is in Perl, and
depends on CPAN modules that are licensed under the Artistic license.
The question they have is whether this will impede their project
entering the Incubator. I suspect that the answer is dependent on
whether their project actually *bundles* these modules, or if it just
requires that they be installed separately. Right?

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Licensing query - Perl libraries

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> I've been approached by a project that wishes to enter the incubator. They
> have a question regarding licensing. Their project is in Perl, and depends
> on CPAN modules that are licensed under the Artistic license. The question
> they have is whether this will impede their project entering the Incubator.
> I suspect that the answer is dependent on whether their project actually
> *bundles* these modules, or if it just requires that they be installed
> separately. Right?

It would be unusual to bundle CPAN deps.  Certainly if the project isn't
bundling Artistic1 deps there is no barrier to *entering* the Incubator.

What may also be of interest is whether all Artistic1 dependencies must be
eliminated before the project is allowed to make releases or graduate, since
Artistic1 isn't on Legal's list of approved licenses.

For Lucy, we got exceptions for Artistic1 deps from Legal Affairs for
incubating releases, but eliminated all of them before graduation.  I would
guess that similar exceptions would be granted again during incubation.  (This
doesn't include dependencies on modules distributed with the Perl core, which
are generally understood to be covered under the "platform" clause.)  If they
might want to maintain Artistic1 deps post-graduation, though, further inquiry
would be required.

Marvin Humphrey