Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Bari, Naeem" <na...@Meridinet.com> on 2001/06/25 21:22:52 UTC

Plz help! Tomcat blocks when calling itself - i am desperate!

I apologize for posting in the dev group, but postings to the
user group have not shed any light on my problem, and I getting
desperate!

Here is my problem:

My environment:
  Solaris 8 (fully patched)
  jdk 1.3.1, with hotspot enabled
  tomcat 3.2.2
  apache 1.3.19

The problem:
  I have a servlet that opens a URL connection to the
  servlet container. So if I call http://blah/blinky,
  where blinky is my servlet, it is possible under some
  situations for this servlet to open a URL such as
  http://blah/lumpy, where lumpy is some other servlet.

  This is part of a largish site publishing framework
  I built on top of JServ. Now, things worked great with
  JServ, but I am having a devil of a time getting this
  to work in Tomcat.

Observations:
  When the blinky servlet opens a URL to the same tomcat
  instance, the log entries for mod_jk go as far as making
  the call to marshal stuff before calling tomcat - as seen
  by the mod_jk.log entry:
    [jk_ajp13.c (480)]: ajp13_marshal_into_msgb - Done
  At this point, nothing happens. I *should* be seeing entries
  for the jk_open_socket function, but they never appear.

What I have tried:
  - I have disabled the default 8080 listener, thinking it
    may be interfering.
    No luck
  - I changed the cachesize of the ajp12 and ajp13 workers
    to 8 from the default of 1.
    No luck
  - I added the "min_spare_threads" parameter to the entries
    for the ajp12 and ajp13 connectors in server.xml
    No luck
  - switched between tomcat 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 *and* 4.0b5
    No luck
  - upgraded apache to 1.3.19
    No luck
  - switched between jdk1.2.2 and jdk1.3.1
    No Luck
  - switched between solaris and win2k
    No luck
  - Torn my hair out from the roots
    No luck

I am at my wits end. Any help will be gratefully accepted.

TIA,
naeem

RE: Plz help! Tomcat blocks when calling itself - i am desperate!

Posted by Marc Saegesser <ma...@apropos.com>.
Any chance you could send a small sample application that demonstrates the
problem?