Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andy Stevens <in...@googlemail.com> on 2008/05/07 19:22:46 UTC

Too many open files (was PDF Image Caching Problem)

2008/5/5 Lehtonen, Mika <mi...@digikartta.net>:
>  Actually there might be another problem (or bug) lying around if you
> produce htmls' with 'noncaching' option. Cocoon seems to be leaving files
> open when using html-serializer with noncaching option in your pipeline. And
> eventually your application can crash because you exceed the maximum open
> files that your OS tolerates. (Cocoon 2.1.11 / Centos 4.6)

Really?  Aha...

It's not the cocoon.xconf that's left open is it?  And could this
affect earlier versions too?  I mailed the dev list about a week ago
(subject "Excessive file handles on cocoon.xconf", see
http://www.nabble.com/Excessive-file-handles-on-cocoon.xconf-tp16973172p17000464.html)
because we were encountering "Too many open files" errors after
migrating a 2.1.7 app from Websphere 5.0 on Windows to 6.0 on Linux.
I'm wondering if this could be the reason.

Do the files get closed eventually? We were getting these errors with
the limit set to 1024, but after a few minutes things would start
working again for a while.  Also, after increasing the limit to 8000
we haven't seen the error since.  I assume this is because it's now
high enough for the responsible component(s) to get destroyed, garbage
collected, and basically cleaned up properly before things get that
bad.

Andy
--
http://pseudoq.sourceforge.net/  Open source java Sudoku application

Re: Too many open files (was PDF Image Caching Problem)

Posted by "Lehtonen, Mika" <mi...@digikartta.net>.
Hi Andy,

it sounds like you are having slightly different malfunction than me. If
I recall right, the files that were left open, were xmls' including some
content that should have been fetched into the page. There were hundreds
of tags in those xml's and fetching every single one of them opened the
xml again and left it open. I can't recall for sure if they were
eventually released but clicking browser's refresh button did that.
Switching caching on changed the situation so that the files were opened
only per first request and at the next time for the same request, no
files were opened.

mika