Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org> on 2023/07/19 09:19:52 UTC

[VOTE] Apache ZooKeeper release 3.9.0 candidate 1

This is release candidate for ZooKeeper 3.9.0.

It is a major release and it introduces a lot of new features, most
notably:
- Admin server API for taking snapshot and stream out the data
- Communicate the Zxid that triggered a WatchEvent to fire
- TLS - dynamic loading for client trust/key store
- Add Netty-TcNative OpenSSL Support
- Adding SSL support to Zktreeutil
- Improve syncRequestProcessor performance
- Updates to all the third party dependencies to get rid of every known
CVE.

The full release notes is available at:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310801&version=12351304

*** Please download, test and vote by July 30th 2023, 23:59 UTC+0. ***

Source files:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.9.0-candidate-1/

Maven staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/zookeeper/zookeeper/3.9.0/

The release candidate tag in git to be voted upon: release-3.9.0-1
https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/tree/release-3.9.0-1

ZooKeeper's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://www.apache.org/dist/zookeeper/KEYS

The staging version of the website is:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.9.0-candidate-1/website/index.html

Should we release this candidate?

Regards,
Andor

Re: [VOTE] Apache ZooKeeper release 3.9.0 candidate 1

Posted by Szalay-Bekő Máté <sz...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

I did the following tests for the release candidate:
- verified checksum and gpg signature of the artifacts
- I built the source code (incl. the C-client, using -Pfull-build) on
Ubuntu 18.04.2 using OpenJDK 8u372, maven 3.9.3 and GCC version 7.4.0
- all the unit tests passed (both Java and C-client)
- I also built and executed unit tests for zkpython
- I also built the java code (without -Pfull-build) using other JDK
versions: 11.0.19, 17.0.7, 20.0.1 (but didn't run the tests this time, just
used 'clean install -DskipTests')
- checkstyle and spotbugs passed
- apache-rat passed
- owasp (CVE check) passed
- fatjar built
- I executed quick rolling-upgrade tests (using
https://github.com/symat/zk-rolling-upgrade-test):
     - rolling upgrade from 3.5.10 to 3.9.0
     - rolling upgrade from 3.6.4 to 3.9.0
     - rolling upgrade from 3.7.1 to 3.9.0
     - rolling upgrade from 3.8.2 to 3.9.0
- checked the generated documentation (zookeeper-docs/target/html)
- compared generated release notes (
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.9.0-candidate-1/website/index.html)
with Jira (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310801&version=12351304
)

Best regards,
Máté

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Thank you for the reviews!

There were 4 approving votes, 3 of them are binding:

- Enrico Olivelli (binding)
- Mohammad Arshad (non-binding)
- Patrick Hunt (binding)
- Máté Szalay-Bekő (binding)

There were no disapproving votes.
I will promote the artifacts and complete the release procedure.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release!

Best Regards,
Andor

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)