Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Jessica Johnson <je...@internetmi.com> on 2007/03/09 19:44:49 UTC

Not finding bean -- Exception "Base is null"?

Hi all,

I am fairly new to myfaces, and am trying to display an <x:dataTable>
that is filled with information from the database.  The problem is
that no data is ever displayed.  I suspect the problem is that the
java code is never being executed, because I get this error when
clicking on a link on the page:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Base is null: browseClientLoader
	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:123)
	org.apache.myfaces.component.html.util.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:129)

root cause javax.faces.el.PropertyNotFoundException: Base is null:
browseClientLoader
	org.apache.myfaces.el.ValueBindingImpl.resolveToBaseAndProperty(ValueBindingImpl.java:460)
	org.apache.myfaces.el.ValueBindingImpl.setValue(ValueBindingImpl.java:248)
	org.apache.myfaces.component.html.ext.HtmlDataTable.setSortColumn(HtmlDataTable.java:581)
	org.apache.myfaces.custom.sortheader.HtmlCommandSortHeader.broadcast(HtmlCommandSortHeader.java:70)
	javax.faces.component.UIData.broadcast(UIData.java:513)
	javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot._broadcastForPhase(UIViewRoot.java:95)
	javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot.processDecodes(UIViewRoot.java:137)
	org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.applyRequestValues(LifecycleImpl.java:219)
	org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.execute(LifecycleImpl.java:71)
	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:108)
	org.apache.myfaces.component.html.util.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:129)

Also I put in break-points in Netbeans, and never hit anything in
BrowseClientLoader.java.  (BrowseClientLoader.java contains the code
that should be filling the x:dataTable.)

Here is the excerpt from my faces-config.xml:

<managed-bean>
        <managed-bean-name>browseClientLoader</managed-bean-name>
        <managed-bean-class>com.imi.jsf.pageloaders.BrowseClientLoader</managed-bean-class>
        <managed-bean-scope>request</managed-bean-scope>
</managed-bean>

Does anyone have an idea why the bean isn't being found?

Thanks,

jessica

Backbase?

Posted by SO...@austin.rr.com.
Does anybody have any experience with Backbase for JSF?