Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk> on 2001/05/08 15:01:14 UTC

Re: Smart host

Oki DZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I define a smart host for the James mail server?
> I'd like to forward everything to my ISP's mail server.

Why?
Charles

Re: Smart host

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
Charles Benett wrote:

> You win the prize for unhelpful responses!

Well, at least, it's called "winning".
And I have responses from you. It's kinda neat if you get responses when
you are on mailing lists.

> If you don't want emails from your users to go through james, tell them
> to set their outbound email server to your ISP's outbound server. (Many
> email clients allow this)

That's not what I want.

> Or, if you want your users emails to go through james, perhaps for
> logging or corporate records, then remove RemoteDelivery mailet from
> your conf and write a mailet that delivers to your ISP. But, I'm not
                                                                   ^^^
> convinced that sending all your emails to your ISP would significantly
  ^^^^^^^^^
> lighten the load on your mail server.

I think it's quite debatable; my theory is that if my James is the one
which sends the email directly to the destinations, then on every
destination address, my server has to connect to the destination server.
If any of them is down, then my James has to retry to send. Opening a
TCP port would cost a bit on the CPU; but if there are many of them, it
would be pretty costly. Retrying to send would eat up CPU power too. Of
course, costly compared to a single connection to my ISP mail server,
send everything at once; sending big packets would lower the TCP
overheads.

> You would also be adding an
> additional point of failure and lengthening the delivery route.

Yes sure. But I could monitor the performance history of my ISP mail
server, and see whether it would be worth it to forward all my email to
the server.

BTW, Sendmail has "smart host" option. Why couldn't James?
Think about convincing long Sendmail users (the admins, I mean) to
switch to James; they'd ask: "Does this new server which theoretically
_will_ be able to run on every available server on the planet which is
called Earth support 'smart host' feature?" If the answer is no, they'd
stick to Sendmail. Of course, there's no obligation for anybody to
convice Sendmail users to switch. But I guess, I'd have difficulty in
answering their question like: "Why do you use a mail server that
doesn't support smart host feature? You don't know the use of it, do
you?" Or, "Have you ever heard 'smart host' feature on mail servers?"

Oki
ps: please read my posting lightheartedly.

RE: Smart host

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
> I'm not
> convinced that sending all your emails to your ISP would significantly
> lighten the load on your mail server.

Perhaps.. (without getting too embroiled in someonelses discussion)
Assuming the ISP is running a reliable service, *all* email would go straight out, there'd be nothing re-trying, nothing failed to build up in the spool, and much less reliance on reliable DNS.

Although setting the clients would be the preferred route.

Re: Smart host

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
You win the prize for unhelpful responses!

If you don't want emails from your users to go through james, tell them
to set their outbound email server to your ISP's outbound server. (Many
email clients allow this)

Or, if you want your users emails to go through james, perhaps for
logging or corporate records, then remove RemoteDelivery mailet from
your conf and write a mailet that delivers to your ISP. But, I'm not
convinced that sending all your emails to your ISP would significantly
lighten the load on your mail server. You would also be adding an

Re: Smart host

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.