Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by 심탁길 <10...@nhncorp.com> on 2008/09/26 08:26:37 UTC

Jobtracker is out of memory with 100,000 dummy map tasks job

Hi all

Recently I tried 100,000 dummy map tasks job on the 100ea node(2GB, Dual Core, 64Bit machine, Version: 0.16.4) cluster

Map task does nothing but sleeping one minute

I found that Jobtracker(1GB Heap) consumes about 650MB of heap memory when the job is 50% done.

After all, the job failed at the 90% of progress because Jobtracker hanged up(?) due to out of memory.

how do you handle this kind of issue?

another related issue:

while the above job was being processed, I clicked on the "Pending" on jobdatails.jsp of web UI

then, Jobtracker consumed 100% of CPU. and 100% CPU status lasted a couple of minutes

Re: Jobtracker is out of memory with 100,000 dummy map tasks job

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Sep 25, 2008, at 11:26 PM, 심탁길 wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Recently I tried 100,000 dummy map tasks job on the 100ea node(2GB,
> Dual Core, 64Bit machine, Version: 0.16.4) cluster
>
> Map task does nothing but sleeping one minute
>
> I found that Jobtracker(1GB Heap) consumes about 650MB of heap
> memory when the job is 50% done.
>
> After all, the job failed at the 90% of progress because Jobtracker
> hanged up(?) due to out of memory.

Funny that you bring this up today... I just now concluded that we
need to port
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3670 to 0.17 branch to
fix a sluggish JobTracker who was spending all his time doing GC.

Please upgrade to 0.18 if you can, immdediately! *smile*

Arun

Posted by Amar Kamat <am...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Amar Kamat wrote:
> Ted Dunning wrote:
>> Why do you try to do 100,000 map tasks?  Also, do you mean that you
>> had 100
>> nodes, each with 2GB?  If so, that is much too small a machine to try
>> to run
>> 1000 tasks on.  It is much better to run about the same number of
>> tasks per
>> machine as you have cores (2-3 in your case).   Then you can easily
>> split
>> your input into 100,000 pieces which will run in sequence.  For most
>> problems, however, it is better to let the system split your data so
>> that
>> you get a few tens of seconds of work per split.  It is inefficient
>> to have
>> very short tasks and it is inconvenient to have long-running tasks.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:26 PM, 심탁길 <10...@nhncorp.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Recently I tried 100,000 dummy map tasks job on the 100ea node(2GB,
>>> Dual
>>> Core, 64Bit machine, Version: 0.16.4) cluster
>>>
> I assume you are using hadoop-0.16.4. This issue got fixed in
> hadoop-0.17 where the JT was made a bit more efficient in terms of
> handling large number of fast finishing maps. See  HADOOP-2119 for
> more details.
I meant http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-2119.
Amar

Posted by Amar Kamat <am...@yahoo-inc.com>.