Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com> on 2013/08/01 01:24:49 UTC

Feedback on SDK 4.10 Callout component

Hi,

A few remarks on the new Callout component:

First off all, congratulations.  The component renders beautifully on desktop apps.

Some minor issues:

-          Leaves a lot of trace statements in debug mode.  Maybe this is on purpose as it's an experimental component, but it's rather annoying.

-          Is not part of spark manifest (s), or any one manifest, so it creates "components" namespace pointing to "spark.components.*".  I was used to short namespaces for core flex components. Once again, maybe this was done on purpose.

-          The callout frame and arrow are displayed in black by default, and changing the application's chrome-color does not affect it.   Other spark components have dark gray outlines by default.  So maybe it was on purpose, or maybe it's because of the mobile origin of the Callout component.

maybe Callout should have a "borderColor" style like spark Panel, so that we can change it easily without redefining the whole skin.

That's my two cents.

Maurice

Re: Feedback on SDK 4.10 Callout component

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
I have an example project (FXP) that adds a directional drop shadow under
the arrow if anyone wants the project or even better to create a patch. The
example also provides an explorer for the vertical and horizontal positions
of CalloutButton. NB This is using the mobile version not the one in 4.10.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33643

Also added a sample project (FB) and the patch for the modified skin to the ticket

Maurice

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
I will do that.
Maurice

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Hi, I have made some small "improvements" to experimental spark Callout component:

- Increased the size of the arrow to 24 instead of 18, as it was really too tiny.  This should be styleable however.
- Display the arrow as dark outline on white background instead of plain black, so that the callout looks more like a callout (see attached image).

If you are interested, I can contribute the change.  Should I open a JIRA for that and submit a patch ?

Maurice

Thank you Justin for the quick answer, and  the consideration.

I have raised a JIRA per your request: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33642

Regards,

Maurice

> -          Leaves a lot of trace statements in debug mode.  Maybe this is on purpose as it's an experimental component, but it's rather annoying.
Annoying no more - I've just commented them out.

> -          Is not part of spark manifest (s), or any one manifest, so it creates "components" namespace pointing to "spark.components.*".  I was used to short namespaces for core flex components. Once again, maybe this was done on purpose.
It should really be part of the experimental name space/manifest, we'll see if we can clean that up for the next release.

> -          The callout frame and arrow are displayed in black by default, and changing the application's chrome-color does not affect it.   Other spark components have dark gray outlines by default.  So maybe it was on purpose, or maybe it's because of the mobile origin of the Callout component.
Mind raising a JIRA issue for this.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: Feedback on SDK 4.10 Callout component

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.