Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bill Tribley <bi...@tribley.org> on 2004/03/20 16:19:57 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.40 Output Stream Bug

Apache process dies leaving zero-length output file after about 4k has been written to the file (measured by seeing how many lines were written to the file before it died, this is not a scientific measurement). On Apache 1.3.x I can stream out to a file to my heart's content. After spending 2-3 h playing with my cgi script and searching 2.0 bug lists, I downgraded to 1.3.29 and am up and running.

Got bit by a similar upload bug 6 months ago using Apache 2.0.? on a HPUX 11 box, that bug is documented but not fixed. I'd say that Apache 2.0 is too Windows-centric, it is not a good choice for Unix because of streaming and file issues. I want to upgrade to 2.0, but plan to stay at 1.3.x for reliability and predictability after having gotten bit badly twice.

Apache 2.0.40 as installed from the bundle on RedHat Linux. Kernel and c libs have been patched:
kernel-2.4.20-30.9
glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7

I have searched for this bug, could not find it.

perl CGI Code excerpted from script which runs perfectly in Apache 1.3.? (I tested it in .19 and .29, script has been running for 6-8 months):

open MFH,">$outFname" or die;
Statement inside loop to print out thousands of records, final file size between 500k and 1Mb, about 1k per line:
	print MFH "@masterRec$eol" or die;

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.40 Output Stream Bug

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Bill Tribley wrote:
> Got bit by a similar upload bug 6 months ago using Apache 2.0.? on a
> HPUX 11 box, that bug is documented but not fixed. I'd say that Apache
> 2.0 is too Windows-centric, it is not a good choice for Unix because of
> streaming and file issues. I want to upgrade to 2.0, but plan to stay at
> 1.3.x for reliability and predictability after having gotten bit badly
> twice.

Hmmm, why don't you make some more gross generalizations based on faulty
knowledge?

> Apache 2.0.40 as installed from the bundle on RedHat Linux. Kernel and c
> libs have been patched: kernel-2.4.20-30.9 glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7

I'd start by using a vaguely recent version of apache.  2.0.40 is going on
two years old now.

Joshua.