Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Foo Shyn Chung <ip...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/17 02:50:41 UTC

Defining attribute in servces.xml

Hi all,

I'm encountering a problem whereby i have fields in a form that has
variable naming in the name attributes that need to pass into a service,
but can't do so because i can't define it in the services.xml

The scenario is that, i have a major form, and there's this sub section of
fields that are added to it through ajax. These fields represent one set of
data and they are not compulsory, meaning some of the fields may be empty.
Example, in the added fields, i have a field of ID, amount and cheque no.
The user can choose to fill in ID and amount but not the cheque no.

At first i name all these fields using the same name, and i pass them to
the service as a List. It works great until i found that if i don't fill in
the cheque no, the cheque no list will actually be null and not a List with
an empty string. This is causing me issue to map them correctly in the
service.

Then i tried to use the old school method, namely having a counter in a
hidden field and have them named with a suffix that representing the
counter. And then i found that i can't dynamically define the attributes in
the services.xml

Does anyone encounter such issue before? Any advise or help?

Thanx
FooShyn

Re: Defining attribute in servces.xml

Posted by Prince Sewani <pr...@ymail.com>.
Hey Foo,

If you have those automatically added field in an entity then you can make use of auto-attributes,
pk/nonpk marking optional as true, in that case you'll get the values if the values are there, otherwise null.,
If you need to bring in empty string then you certainly have to intercept data posting, i.e. java event that you
mentioned you'll be hitting, also with service mutli, you can actually call a sub-service that will be called for multiple

fields for e.g. if you have something of sorts checqueno1 ,chequeno2, etc. If its just simply gonna be chequeno ,then

proceeding with auto-attributes will be favorable and later on in the back-end i.e. the java part you can actually
call a custom validator cum transformer that will validate the values and if null can transform it to the default format,
one more way would be giving default values in the form itself, in case you don't want the null values to reach to the sever side

and it to be a couple of empty strings.

Hope it helps.

Regards
Prince