Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/02 18:44:29 UTC

The AOO build system

Forgive my level of ignorance here, but I haven't been a very active
participant to this point, so there's a lot I don't know.

In a lot of the discussion around this whole "retirement" thing (both on
the mailing list and on forums like LWN, etc.) I see a lot of talk about
the problems with the AOO build system.

So my question(s) are:

1. What is the main problem with the build system as it is?
2. Do we need a whole new system, or just incremental improvements to
what we have?
3. Regarding Mac in particular, I'll repeat this question from an earlier
thread:  Does the ASF have Mac hardware for doing Mac builds, or are we
dependent solely on developer machines for that?
4. I keep hearing about how LO adopted this great new build system... can
we in any way leverage work that they did?  Or has that already been done?
Or is it not possible?
5. Other than Mac builds, are any other platforms especially limited or
restricted in any way?
6. Do we still build for OS/2? :-)  (Sorry, I'm sentimental old fool).

Phil
~~~
This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM

Re: The AOO build system

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.
I was actually (mostly) joking about the OS/2 thing.  Not that I wasn't a
raving OS/2 fan up until about 2000.  But for AOO, I think the answers to
the other five questions are more important at the moment.  Does anybody
have any commentary on those topics?

Thanks,

Re: The AOO build system

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: The AOO build system

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> 6. Do we still build for OS/2? :-)  (Sorry, I'm sentimental old fool).

The OO.o OS/2 builds have ALWAYS been done by OS/2 enthusiasts, not the
main project (not OO.o nor AOO).
The last "officially supported" release done for OS/2 was StarOffice 5.1a
back in the Sun days and before OO.o AFAIR

FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: The AOO build system

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Phillip Rhodes wrote:
>>> 1. What is the main problem with the build system as it is?
>> It's ugly. I recall you once built OpenOffice, right? It is not the easy
>> configure + make. Still, it works and the build system is not standing in
>> the way for a release.
> OK, that's good to know.  I got the impression from some earlier
> discussions that it was somehow a major sticking point in terms of getting
> releases out and what-not.  Good to see that that's not the case.

The build system (as in code structure) is not much in the way.
Creating, uploading and releasing binaries, instead, is very time-consuming.

> 3. Regarding Mac in particular, I'll repeat this question from an earlier
>>> thread:  Does the ASF have Mac hardware for doing Mac builds, or are we
>>> dependent solely on developer machines for that?
>> All OpenOffice releases have always been built on machines under control
>> of individual developers.
> Ah, OK.  Is that the desired state of affairs? Or would there be any
> impetus to try to get dedicated build machines that are hosted somewhere
> and used for the binary builds?

There is a (saner than most discussions seen here in the last days)
thread about it: https://s.apache.org/utpy

Most notably, as a Linux user you might want to follow the recipe there
and try to create you own 32-bit CentOS 5 (old, but our baseline for the
moment) VM for building release-ready OpenOffice 32-bit builds.
Everything is done already, but I'll be posting updates to that thread
as soon as I have time for it.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: The AOO build system

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Phillip Rhodes wrote:
>

>> 1. What is the main problem with the build system as it is?
>>

> It's ugly. I recall you once built OpenOffice, right? It is not the easy
> configure + make. Still, it works and the build system is not standing in
> the way for a release.

OK, that's good to know.  I got the impression from some earlier
discussions that it was somehow a major sticking point in terms of getting
releases out and what-not.  Good to see that that's not the case.

> 2. Do we need a whole new system, or just incremental improvements to
>> what we have?
>>

> In 4.2.0 we have merged significant improvements. What we have is enough
> for the time being.

Cool.

3. Regarding Mac in particular, I'll repeat this question from an earlier
>> thread:  Does the ASF have Mac hardware for doing Mac builds, or are we
>> dependent solely on developer machines for that?
>>

> All OpenOffice releases have always been built on machines under control
> of individual developers.

Ah, OK.  Is that the desired state of affairs? Or would there be any
impetus to try to get dedicated build machines that are hosted somewhere
and used for the binary builds?

> 5. Other than Mac builds, are any other platforms especially limited or
>> restricted in any way?
>>

> Our reference environments are described at http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/o
> penoffice/devtools/build-scripts/4.1.2/ ; the build system itself is not
> a huge obstacle. I concede that a newcomer will find it hard, but you
> mastered it, so you are one of the few who actually know whether it is too
> hard.

As I recall, running an AOO build (on Linux) wasn't exactly trivial, but it
wasn't mind numbingly difficult either.  The big hold up I ran into was
that there was some bug or other back then, that was blocking things up.
IIRC, there was already a known work-around / fix for that, so hopefully
that has been incorporated by now.

> 6. Do we still build for OS/2? :-)
>>

> We don't support it officially. Volunteers do it as a third-party port but
> they do contribute code to the project, so for example 4.1.2 saw a number
> of changes that were meant to make the OS/2 build possible.

Cool. I haven't used it in over a decade, but I still have a soft-spot for
OS/2.  :-)

Phil

Re: The AOO build system

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Forgive my level of ignorance here, but I haven't been a very active
> participant to this point, so there's a lot I don't know.

Forgive my terseness, but I want to add as little as possible to today's
traffic... but I appreciate this attitude a lot and just ask if you need
more.

Re: The AOO build system

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Forgive my level of ignorance here, but I haven't been a very active
> participant to this point, so there's a lot I don't know.
>
> In a lot of the discussion around this whole "retirement" thing (both on
> the mailing list and on forums like LWN, etc.) I see a lot of talk about
> the problems with the AOO build system.
>
> So my question(s) are:
>
> 1. What is the main problem with the build system as it is?

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis#
The_recursive-make_problem

> 2. Do we need a whole new system, or just incremental improvements to
> what we have?

We have a new build system, gbuild, started back in the Sun/Oracle days,
based on GNU make and which was eventually intended to replace both build.pl
and dmake.

> 3. Regarding Mac in particular, I'll repeat this question from an earlier
> thread:  Does the ASF have Mac hardware for doing Mac builds, or are we
> dependent solely on developer machines for that?
> 4. I keep hearing about how LO adopted this great new build system... can
> we in any way leverage work that they did?  Or has that already been done?
> Or is it not possible?

41 of our 182 modules (22.5%) have been ported to gbuild. LO completed all
of them but we can't copy from them.

5. Other than Mac builds, are any other platforms especially limited or
> restricted in any way?

Possibly Solaris?

Re: The AOO build system

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Sep 2, 2016, at 2:44 PM, Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 3. Regarding Mac in particular, I'll repeat this question from an earlier
> thread:  Does the ASF have Mac hardware for doing Mac builds, or are we
> dependent solely on developer machines for that?

Is there anyone following up w/ Infra about this??