Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Steve Eynon <st...@alienfactory.co.uk> on 2009/04/15 04:16:30 UTC

[T5.1.0.2] / [T5.1.0.3] Combining JavaScript Libraries in IE 6

Hi,

I noticed that if I added script on page in a component during the
beginRender() method via...

renderSupport.addScript()

...I recieved a javascript error in IE 6 complaining that the Tapestry
object did not exist on the line:

Tapestry.onDOMLoaded(function() {

This only happens if "tapestry.combine-scripts" is set to true (i.e.
in production mode). If this is set to false, then IE 6 is more than
happy. It seems like IE 6 was not happy with the virtual asset js
file.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this behaviour as I'm
only able to test IE 6 via the usual Multiple IEs install on a Windows
XP box (and not through a *real* IE 6 install).

Regards,

Steve.

Re: [T5.1.0.2] / [T5.1.0.3] Combining JavaScript Libraries in IE 6

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 5:20 AM, Steve Eynon
<st...@alienfactory.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use Jetty 6.1.14 and this happens regardless of whether deployed to
> Windows or Linux. We've not noticed this behaviour in Firefox or IE 7,
> but it's consistent on IE 6. However, when you refresh the problematic
> page then all works fine.
>
> It's almost as if the virtual script is being downloaded after the
> Tapestry initialization - hence on page refresh the script is already
> cached and all works smoothly. But that does not explain why
> everything works when the scripts are not combined. The only obvious
> difference to the browser would be the length of the virtual js
> filename.
>
> No stack traces are being produced on the server so I was guessing
> it's a quirk with IE 6 script loading but wasn't sure if it was down
> to our skewed IE 6 or not.
>
> Steve.
>
> P.S. It's a great idea - are there any plans in the pipeline to do
> similar with stylesheets?

Stylesheets can't be combined this way, because it would mess up
relative URLs to images that are often embedded in the stylesheet.

> --
> Steve Eynon
> www.bushmasters.co.uk
> mobie: (+592) 6784236
>

> 2009/4/15 Ville Virtanen <vi...@cerion.fi>:
>>
>> I've experienced this too, and some others in the list.
>>
>> The underlying issue is that the combining / gzipping dies in the server
>> side -> the page is loaded but the javascript asset is never delivered to
>> the browser. However, tapestry includes initialization in the page which
>> dependes to the asset, which gives error Tapestry does not exist.
>>
>> Hunt down the stack trace from production and attach it here. Do you also
>> have tomcat, and develop in windows + deploy to linux?
>>
>>  - Ville
>>
>> Ps. We're experiencing this randomly, and for us this is not browser
>> dependent.
>>

>> Steve Eynon wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I noticed that if I added script on page in a component during the
>>> beginRender() method via...
>>>
>>> renderSupport.addScript()
>>>
>>> ...I recieved a javascript error in IE 6 complaining that the Tapestry
>>> object did not exist on the line:
>>>
>>> Tapestry.onDOMLoaded(function() {
>>>
>>> This only happens if "tapestry.combine-scripts" is set to true (i.e.
>>> in production mode). If this is set to false, then IE 6 is more than
>>> happy. It seems like IE 6 was not happy with the virtual asset js
>>> file.
>>>
>>> I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this behaviour as I'm
>>> only able to test IE 6 via the usual Multiple IEs install on a Windows
>>> XP box (and not through a *real* IE 6 install).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Steve.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry
Director of Open Source Technology at Formos

Re: [T5.1.0.2] / [T5.1.0.3] Combining JavaScript Libraries in IE 6

Posted by Steve Eynon <st...@alienfactory.co.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Ville Virtanen <vi...@cerion.fi>.