Posted to announce@apache.org by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> on 2013/01/11 07:47:32 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

The Apache Flex community is pleased to announce the release of Apache Flex 4.9.0!

Apache Flex is a highly productive, open source application framework for building and maintaining expressive applications that deploy consistently on all major browsers, desktops and devices (including smartphones, tablets and tv).

This is the first release since Apache Flex has been made a top level Apache Software Foundation project.

Apache Flex is available in source and binary form from the following download page:
http://flex.apache.org/download.html

It's recommended you install Apache Flex by using the Apache Flex IDE installer:
http://flex.apache.org/installer.html

When downloading from a mirror site, please remember to verify the downloads using signatures or MD5 hashes.

For more information on Apache Flex, visit the project home page:
http://flex.apache.org

Thank you for using Apache Flex,
The Apache Flex Community

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

Posted by shiju <sh...@erstechnology.com>.
Great News.. cheers !!

Thank you for all of the Team to make this happen  :)

Re: [TWEET] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Done.

Shouldn't you send a post on DZONE ?

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

[TWEET] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> But I now want to get a few guys in my company using the tool on Windows and we don't have at this time a budget to buy licneses for Adobe Flashbuilder or InteliJ.
> I wanted to use Eclipse which is fully opensource and free..

It's certainly is possible to use any editor and compile via the command line (or ant) but you wont be as productive as if you use an IDEs that is Flex aware.

For plain old eclipse follow the steps here. I've not gone though the steps to confirm that they work but it looks solid.
http://www.seanhsmith.com/2010/03/29/flex-for-free-setting-up-the-flex-4-sdk-with-eclipse-ide

In apache Flex 4.8/4.9 versions (on windows) mxml.exe has been renamed mxml.bat and you'll need -target-player=11.1.0 as a compiler option.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

Posted by Peter HIRT <pe...@st.com>.
Hi again,

I think I could get the SDK working on my Creative Suite 5.0 (which includes Flashbuilder 4.0) on my MAC.

This is nicely documented in the link you provided.

But I now want to get a few guys in my company using the tool on Windows and we don't have at this time a budget to buy licneses for Adobe Flashbuilder or InteliJ.
I wanted to use Eclipse which is fully opensource and free.

Actually, it would make a lot of sense if Apache Flex (Being opensource) would promote mostly other opensource tools rather that commercial tools.

Anyway, many thanks for your your kind attention to my problems (if you have other huints, let me know)

Peter

> But now, I would need to integrate it into ideally into Eclipse IDE (the closest to the original FlashBuilder IDE).
The installer should do that for you. This is not publish yet but perhaps it helps? (see step 7)

http://flex.apache.org/v2/doc-getstarted.html

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Peter HIRT <pe...@st.com>.
Yes, I used the installer and I was nicely surprised how well this went.
But now, I would need to integrate it into ideally into Eclipse IDE (the closest to the original FlashBuilder IDE).

If some has done any tutorials, would be great!

Peter

Posted by Oliver Wiemer <o....@audiovisuellemedien.de>.
Hi Justin,

it was a problem here on my system.
I tester it now and the installer works.

I think, it was temporary yesterday.
i can't reproduce the issue.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Oliver Wiemer <o....@audiovisuellemedien.de>.
Hi,

this installer doesn't work for me on a MAC.
So i downloaded it on an Win PC and copy it to my Mac.

So all was fine.
It rocks well.

Greets Olli

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Peter HIRT <pe...@st.com>.
Good stuff, and congratulations!

But, for a casual user of Flex, the install is still a nightmare.

Are there tutorials out there (Youtube...) where the install into Eclipse or other IDE is explained?
With the README files, you still need to be an IT expert to get going.
Compare this with what happened when I bough Flex from Adobe a year ago. 15 minutes and then up and running

Suggestions are welcome
Peter

Will each of you please copy & paste this to update your twitter status and help promote the new release to your social media followers? It would also be helpful to promote this news to G+, LinkedIn, FaceBook and your other social media accounts.

Thanks, Scott

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
Here is a prepared Tweet:

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com>.
That works! But I gotta tell you, those checkboxes look like anything but
checkboxes to me. They look like decorative bullet points. I was clicking
all over the place trying to make something happen, even read all the
blooming licenses. And I'm a computer (and usability) guy.

--
Andrew Wetmore

http://cottage14.blogspot.com/
http://portfolio.cottage14.com
https://sites.google.com/site/mvplaywrights/home
http://livefrom-studioa.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 1/11/13 6 :00PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Odd I've not seen it on the announce list but it been archived:
>http://www.mail-archive.com/announce@apache.org/msg01711.html

I subscribe to announce and I didn't get it but I did get the Apache Flex
press release from Sally at 6AM something this morning.

Carol

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> One reason to talk to press@ first.

Is that a requirement? It's not mentioned in the release procedure. [1] The content was reviewed on the list first and was sent (and signed) from my apacge.org account - what the expected time for announce email to be moderated?

Thanks,
Justin

1.http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#release-announcements

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Flex 4.9.0 released

Posted by Todd Shelton <to...@gmail.com>.
Great news and done.

Thank you guys.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.