Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org> on 2012/06/08 22:43:16 UTC

$PERL not respected (was: buildbot failure in ASF Buildbot on openoffice-linux64-nightly)

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 08:42:19PM +0200, Herbert Duerr wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 06/08/2012 07:20 PM, you wrote:
> >I believe the current build problems are due to the change in the
> >location of external tar balls.
> >How should the build get these using the new script?
>
> Looking through the logs I saw
> ./bootstrap: 46: download_external_dependencies.pl: Permission denied
> and that pointed at missing execute permissions for that script.
>
> I committed the fix as revision 1348184

Looking at bootstrap.1, that file gets executed by a system perl
(supposed you have one installed), not respecting the perl set with
--with-perl-home, stored in $PERL.

I should try a full build renaming /usr/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl.foo
and configuring with --with-perl-home, I guess there will be more places
than the ones found in the attached patch.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: $PERL not respected

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 08:42:19PM +0200, Herbert Duerr wrote:
>> [...]
>> Looking through the logs I saw
>> ./bootstrap: 46: download_external_dependencies.pl: Permission denied
>> and that pointed at missing execute permissions for that script.
>>
>> I committed the fix as revision 1348184

With that fix the buildbot is happy now about the new download script:
http://ci.apache.org/builders/openoffice-linux64-nightly/builds/248/steps/compile_3/logs/stdio

> Looking at bootstrap.1, that file gets executed by a system perl
> (supposed you have one installed), not respecting the perl set with
> --with-perl-home, stored in $PERL.

Good point. And when it has been converted so that all these scripts are
run via "$PERL" then I think we should drop their exec-flags and
eventually also their shebang lines.
   ls -l main/solenv/bin/*pl
shows that the exec-bits were handled inconsistently and the scripts
using them tended to be wrong by ignoring --with-perl-home.

> I should try a full build renaming /usr/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl.foo
> and configuring with --with-perl-home, I guess there will be more places
> than the ones found in the attached patch.

This is an interesting experiment. Running
   find . -name "*.p[lm]" -exec grep -l bin/perl {} \;
gives a first indication that there will be quite many areas where to
expect problems that cannot be easily found by the perl.foo experiment
such as the platform or language specific or scripts.

Herbert