Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net> on 2001/12/25 00:31:50 UTC

VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file

hi,

As I examined that faq.xml is not a faq10 DTD valid document, I thought
about restructuring the FAQ
layout.
Looking like this :
Question
  {faq-section-title-1}
     {question}
   {faq-section-title-2}
      {question}

I'd like to restructure the documentation/xdocs/faq.xml FAQ file.

I'd like to change the faqv10.dtd to faqv11.dtd adding faq-section
element like it was in
Cocoon1.
Doing this I hope to structure the Table of Content displaying all
question as single unordered list.
Having faq-section will help the reader to find question he or she is
interested in more easily.

Thus DTD becomes:
<!ELEMENT faqs (authors?, (faqsection | faq)+)>
<!ATTLIST faqs %common.att;
               %title.att;>

<!ELEMENT faq-section (faq)+>
<!ATTLIST faq-section %common.att;
                     %title.att;>

<!ELEMENT faq (question, answer)>

<!ELEMENT question (%content.mix;)*>
<!ATTLIST question %common.att;>

<!ELEMENT answer (%blocks;)*>
<!ATTLIST answer author IDREF #IMPLIED>

Moreover I'd like to classify the current FAQ having following
faq-section titles:

Building
  About compiling cocoon sources

Configuring
  About configuring sitemap,

Installing
  About installing cocoon for a servlet engine

Startup Troubles
  Questiong Cocoon does not work

Database Troubles
  About Cocoon and databases

Sitemap Troubles
  About Sitemap setups

Misc
  Anything that does not fit in the above category titles

Re: VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,

>There was some previous discussion on this topic:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=99830982412347&w=2
> [PROPOSAL] xdocs/faq.xml needs split into topic-based FAQs
>However, i did not have enough spare time to proceed.
>We obvious need to sort out the mystery of the DTD and
>stylesheet before proceeding.

thanks for the link, i haven't read it, but as the classifies are nearly
the same as my proposal,
I think either mine, or yours or both are not that bad.

The only point I want to make having FAQ spread over more files is, that
it might be more tedious
to find the question I'm interested in, clicking through all the FAQ pages.

But let's see what's the DTD history checking says...

bye bernhard

Re: build docs fails on Windows -[Was] VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,
I checked a bit about the resolver:

1) If you turn catalog-logging to 3
    <parameter name="verbosity" value="3"/>
 in cocoon.xconf, you can see what URL the catalog manager is trying to
load.
2) As ResolverImpl is now from the value of parameter name="catalog" an
absolute URL
is built, but the catalog manger takes this, thinks is a relative URL,
hence trying
to an URL like: file:/foo/bar/file:/x/y/z..
3) I tried a bit changing the
src.org.apache.cocoon.components.resolver.ResolverImpl avoiding
to build an absoluteURL:
        // Load the built-in catalog.
        String catalogFile = params.getParameter("catalog",
          "/resources/entities/catalog");
        try {
            //String catalogURL =
this.context.getResource(catalogFile).toExternalForm();
String catalogURL = catalogFile;
Then building the docs works only, specifying the absolute path of the
catalog like
"/foo/bar/documentation/resources/entities",
I failed specifying file:/foo/bar/entities, in this case catalog
resolver tries to load via ftp(!?),
but perhaps it is necessary to read the API docs
of the com.sun.resolver.tools.CatalogResolver more closely.

bye bernhard

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

<snip/>

validation during build docs -[Was] VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Bernhard Huber wrote:
> just another note:
> book.xml has not DTD associatided, below a quick DTD for book.xml,
> I made the attributes in most cases required...
> Do you want to add it into CVS, too?

Ah, it is good to see that someone else is using validation
during "build docs" and striking similar issues. There is similar
previous discussion at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=100470955710331&w=2

Basically, every XML document needs to declare its ruleset
(most easily via a DTD). The current */book.xml and svg templates
do not yet declare their DTD.

I already had a DTD for book.xml with the exact same ruleset
as yours. A workaround DTD is also required for the svg/*.xml
templates. I have just now added both initial DTDs to CVS,
and also declared the DTDs in each */book.xml

So now your build docs should proceed properly to validate
all xdocs. Note that this will work, even if the entity resolver
is broken on your platform. The declarations use a default
System Identifier that is the hard-coded relative path to the DTD.
--David Crossley

Re: VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,
just another note:
book.xml has not DTD associatided, below a quick DTD for book.xml,
I made the attributes in most cases required...
Do you want to add it into CVS, too?

<!ELEMENT book (menu)+>

<!ATTLIST book
  software CDATA #REQUIRED
  title CDATA #REQUIRED
  copyright CDATA #IMPLIED

<!ELEMENT menu (menu-item|external)+>
<!ATTLIST menu
  label CDATA #REQUIRED

<!ELEMENT menu-item EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST menu-item
  label CDATA #REQUIRED
  href CDATA #REQUIRED
  type (visible|hidden) "visible"

<!ELEMENT external EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST external

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >David Crossley wrote:
> >> I am trying to resurrect this important thread from late
> >> last year (it was around Xmas and there were no replies).
> >>
> >> Does anybody know the answer to the mystery of why
> >> the FAQ DTD lost some excellent functionality? See
> >> discussion below. I propose that if nobody knows, then
> >> we should resort to the FAQ document structure of C1.
> >
> >David,
> >
> >I'm currently cleaning up the v1.0 DTDs and making a v1.1 version to
> >place in Forrest (we'll be probably be starting a full-blown xml.apache
> >subproject soon).
> >
> >I'll be very happy to integrate any suggestion.
>
> Your initial DTDs have been excellent. I look forward to
> your next efforts.

thanks.

> At the moment the only issue is why the DTD for FAQ took
> a retrograde step.

ok

> >As for the Documentation vs. Docbook DTD, I'd love to provide choice
> >instead of wasting tons of emails to convince people why one DTD is
> >better than another.
>
> The Catalog Entity Resolver will allow us to easily manage
> various versions of DTDs. If you need any help with configuring
> the catalog, then please ask.

I already did, but I'll be very open to suggestion.

> >DTDs are like OS or text editors: highly subjective to personal taste.
> >
> >At the same time, it's fairly easy to transform Documentation DTD into
> >Docbook DTD
>
> Yes, one of the obvious benefits of having valid documents
> to start with.
>
> >so I plan to do:
> >
> > light semantic markup -> full semantic markup -> presentation markup
> >
> >where
> >
> > light content DTD -> Documentation v1.1 (and friends)
> > full content DTD -> Docbook (latest)
> > presentation DTD -> XHTML, XSL:FO (rendered as PDF) and SVG (rendered
> >as PNG)
> >
> >What do you think?
>
> This sounds a good approach to me. However, i am
> unclear as to which DTD the actual xdocs/*.xml will use
> (i presume document-v11.dtd).

I'll write a small stylesheet to convert document-v10 to document-v11
and also the old stylebook DTD to document-v11 for the other xml.apache
projects and unify the DTDs.

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> David Crossley wrote:

<snip/>

> > Does anybody know the answer to the mystery of why
> > the FAQ DTD lost some excellent functionality? See
> > discussion below. I propose that if nobody knows, then
> > we should resort to the FAQ document structure of C1.
>
> David,
>
> DTDs are like OS or text editors: highly subjective to personal taste.

:-)

> At the same time, it's fairly easy to transform Documentation DTD into
> Docbook DTD so I plan to do:

Avalon already does so. We can borrow those XSLTs to do so.

>  light semantic markup -> full semantic markup -> presentation markup
>
> where
>
>  light content DTD -> Documentation v1.1 (and friends)
>  full content DTD -> Docbook (latest)
>  presentation DTD -> XHTML, XSL:FO (rendered as PDF) and SVG (rendered
> as PNG)
>
> What do you think?

Make sense to me.

Giacomo

Re: VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: David Crossley [mailto:crossley@indexgeo.com.au]
>
> I am trying to resurrect this important thread from late
> last year (it was around Xmas and there were no replies).
>
> Does anybody know the answer to the mystery of why
> the FAQ DTD lost some excellent functionality? See
> discussion below. I propose that if nobody knows, then
> we should resort to the FAQ document structure of C1.

I agree; flat FAQ isn't the way to go. +1.

<snip>

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.