Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Otavio Rodolfo Piske <an...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/05 09:37:18 UTC

Re: Camel 3.X / DataFormat BeanIO

Unfortunately unmaintained code (even if it has no dependencies) can pose a
risk (in terms of CVEs, attack footprint, etc) to the project and all the
community around it. Removing functionality is not cool, but exposing the
community is even worse IMHO.

There is indeed a process before removing these components:

1. We add a deprecation for them in Jira [1]
2. We wait for the next LTS release
3. They are removed after the LTS release [2]

When we deprecate these components, a few things happen:

1. They are marked as so in the build summary and appropriate classes are
marked as deprecated (so that it's clear to the community contributing that
those components have become deprecated)
2. They automatically get marked as deprecated on the index [3]
3. After removed, they are added to the migration guides [4]

Granted: there's certainly room for improvement, but I am not sure how
feasible it is given the number of contributors, infrastructure, etc.

Links:
1. Examples: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-17667,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-18455 or
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-18496