Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by burtonator <bu...@relativity.yi.org> on 2001/08/05 02:28:03 UTC

Classloader problems. Tomcat won't load Xalan from WEB-INF/lib

Re: Classloader problems. Tomcat won't load Xalan from WEB-INF/lib

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On 4 Aug 2001, burtonator wrote:

> OK.
>
> I running Tomcat under with Xalan under JDK 1.3.  I want to have
> Tomcat reload all my Xalan extensions when I recompile.
>
> The only problem is that since the Tomcat core uses Xalan the system
> classloader is used and therefore when I recompile none of my new
> extension modifications are used.
>
> OF course this normal behavior with the system classloader (
> sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader ).  What I need to have happen is for
> Tomcat (when in a certain configuration) to ALWAYS use *it's*
> classloader even if a given class has been loaded by the system
> classloader.
>
> Is this possible?  Can I have two classloaders in the same JVM with the same
> classes loaded from different locations?
>
> Did that make sense?
>
> I have tried to find more documentation on this but was unable to find any in
> the archives which helped.

Tomcat 4 does what you are after.  It loads it's own XML parser from the
"$CATALINA_HOME/server/lib" directory, which won't interfere with use of
Xalan (or an XML parser) loaded in your web app.

There's a document describing Tomcat 4's internal class loading
architecture in the source distribution (accessible online via anonymous
CVS) at:

  catalina/docs/dev/classloaders.html

> Kevin

Craig McClanahan