Posted to dev@empire-db.apache.org by Benjamin Venditti <be...@arcor.de> on 2011/01/24 01:22:38 UTC

EMPIREDB-38, switch to slf4j

Hey there,

i thought i could contribute a little for the next release and had a
look at the open-issues list for the upcoming release. I picked up
EMPIREDB-38 "switch to slf4j" as i think i can handle it (not so sure
with the other issues), and it shows to be unassigned.

My first impression is that it involves not to much work, we would have
to get rid of calls to "log.fatal(...)" as slf4j just offers 5 instead
of 6 logging levels. Do we make any destinction between fatal and
"normal" errors? If not, we can simply map fatal to error.

     slf4j.Logger:                                     debug, error,
info, trace, warn
     apache.commons.logging.Log:      trace, debug, info, warn, error, fatal

And there is a "LogFactory.releaseAll();" which i'm not sure how to map
in slf4j.

The "DOMConfiguration" stuff will be removed as far is i understood, as
this is neccessary for the configuration of the specific logging
implementation which will now go into a different config file.

I suggest to switch logging to slf4j in the whole project. That way i
could start with non crutial parts of the project, like the examples,
and i wouldn't have to worry about messing up the core. And in the end
we will have consistent logging in the whole project.

Please let me know what you think?

     Best Regards

Re: EMPIREDB-38, switch to slf4j

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
In fact his is quite flexible as we could use the commons logging to
slf4j bridge to have both working but I would go for all in one anyway
as I don't want our users to be forced to include the bridge.

Just remove commons logging in all poms and that should point you to
what to change.

The examples can keep using log4j for logging, all we need is to have
a runtime dependency on the slf4j to log4j bindings in those. so that
slf4j logging is forwarded to log4j.

I can help out this evening if you have problems with the conversion.

Cheers,
Francis

--
http://www.somatik.be

re: EMPIREDB-38, switch to slf4j

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Benjamin,

glad to hear that you want to take on this issue.

But before you start, we should make our minds up what exactly we want to achieve and how we are going to do this.

I don't think it is necessary or desirable to put all org.apache.empire.xml classes into a separate module.

Regards
Rainer

Posted by Benjamin Venditti <be...@arcor.de>.
Hi Francis,