Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Vi...@nokia.com on 2005/06/03 17:17:32 UTC

Gateway and Name Lookup

Hi again,

I've setup James as a relay server. It is not directly connected to internet and hence uses a gateway. Because I have no internet access and uses a gateways I don't have access to a DNS server.

I've found that for every mail it relays, james tries to lookup the recipient's mail address FQDN (hostname) with a DNS query to localhost. This cause James to log errors, delay mails processing and even (rarely) lose some mails.

I wonder how I could setup james so that not to send any DNS query?

Thanks for your help,
Vincent.

I've found that for every mail relayed by James a name lookup query is sent to localhost (I did not set a valid DNS sever since I don't have
I've setup this configuration and now face another issue: james is trying to resolve the domain name of the outgoing mails. Since I use a gateway, I don't have access to any DNS server able to resolve the domains of the outgoing mails.

Sample:

I'm running james on smtp.mydomain.com with this kind of RemoteDelivery:

<mailet match="All" class="RemoteDelivery">
   <outgoing> db://maildb/spool/outgoing1 </outgoing>
   <gateway>192.168.1.10</gateway>
</mailet>

James don't have access to any DNS server.

When I send a mail to somebody@somewhere.com James tries to resolve somewhere.com causing james to log error messages and delay mail processing in some cases.

RE: Gateway and Name Lookup

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I've found that for every mail it relays, james tries to lookup
> the recipient's mail address FQDN (hostname) with a DNS query
> to localhost [even when using <gateway>

Which version of JAMES, and do we know where the lookup is occuring?

	--- Noel