Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/11 14:58:25 UTC

Commons-logging

Hello Drill Devs,
I am working on submitting some UDFs, and in so doing discovered that one UDF has a dependency (commons-validator) which itself has a dependency of commons-logging which is banned. Does anyone  know why commons-logging is banned?   I’m not a maven expert but is it possible to exclude the commons-logging dependency somehow so that we could use commons-validator in Drill?
Thanks,
— C

Re: Commons-logging

Posted by Paul Rogers <pr...@mapr.com>.
Hi Charles,

Drill uses Logback logging in place of commons logging. There is a bridge of some kind that allows code written for one to work with the other.

Yes, Maven does have dependency management. Maven is the most difficult software I’ve ever used; the documentation is worse than awful. Maven is a black art unless you’ve actually read the source code. The structure of the pom files appears not meant for human consumption. So, if you are confused, that is only natural.

That said, the quick & dirty solution is simply to search the pom files for “commons-logging” to see how dependency exclusions are done elsewhere; there are many to choose from.

- Paul