Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk> on 2004/06/26 12:04:36 UTC

Mount-table.xml and building the webapp [Was: Jetty versus Tomcat]

    David> We are very happy with using Jetty for production.  We use
    David> the full Jetty distribution there.

Thank you for that endorsement. I too am now happy (Tomcat complained
about the cocoon.war file).

    David> We just configure it to unpack the cocoon.war file.  Our
    David> jetty.sh start script just waits until jetty has started
    David> then unpacks a TAR file which contains our sitemaps,
    David> stylesheets and stuff, putting the content straight into
    David> the jetty tmp/Jetty_*/webapp/ directory.

I suspect you do this because the mount table mechanism doesn't work
with a war file, as it is in the wrong place.

I have edited the supplied top-level sitemap.xmap to look for
mount-table.xml in the same directory, instead of the grandfather
directory (i.e. I removed the ../../).
I then edited tools/targets/webapp-build.xml to copy this file into
the corresponding directory in the build tree.

This way, everything is in the cocoon.war file, except for the
sitemaps. stylesheets etc., which are in a production-deployment
directory. So I don't have to resort to your trick of waiting for
Jetty to start - everything works via the mount table (I use a
different one for development and for live running).

I am sure this is where the mount table OUGHT to be, so this is a
formal request to incoporate these two changes (with the difference
that the mount-table.xml file is first checked for existence before
being copied, or whatever other mechanisn is necessary to prevent
ant's copy task from throwing a wobbly if the file doesn't exist -
It's a long time since I looked at ant, so I don't remember how to do this).
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire