Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by "Goldspink, Matt (IT)" <Ma...@morganstanley.com> on 2008/11/10 18:01:33 UTC

Now Ivy RC2 is there a plan to add an IvyDE compatible version?

Hi,

Now that Ivy RC2 is out is it possible to get an IvyDE compatible version added to the IvyDE update site? We'd like to use some of the new features like Resolving in Workspace, in the past we've been taking a cut of the source code and using that, but it would be nice if the official update site could provide us with a compatible version. Is there any date we can expect one by?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: AW: Now Ivy RC2 is there a plan to add an IvyDE compatible version?

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de a écrit :
> You should add a note about building with Java5 in the release document ;)

Already done, see r721228 ;)

Nicolas

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Clements Mark a écrit :
> [...]
This is a new feature about notifying errors in IvyDE.
If the resolve job fail, then an error marker is put on the ivy.xml file
and there should be a proper entry in the "Problems" view.
If there is a configuration problem (didn't find the settings, or the
ivy.xml is ill-formed,...) then an error marker is displayed on the
classpath container. But no message is associated to it in the
"Problems" view (I didn't managed to). Maybe this error marker would be
better be removed as we cannot know a posteriori what happened. IvyDE
user's comments about it are welcomed.

Nicolas

RE: Now Ivy RC2 is there a plan to add an IvyDE compatible version?

Posted by Clements Mark <cl...@OFAC.CH>.

Best regards,

Mark

Re: Now Ivy RC2 is there a plan to add an IvyDE compatible version?

Posted by pa...@targetgroup.net.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
paul.newport@targetgroup.net a écrit :

> The SpringIde had a similar unzip problem with RAD 7 installs. It turned
> out the plugin jars were packed in Java 6 not 5.
>
> This link might help in any resolution:
>
> http://jira.springframework.org/browse/IDE-816

thanks for the info.
So I have rebuild the packed jar with java 5 (there were effectivelly
packed with java6). Could somebody give a try with this update site:
http://people.apache.org/~hibou/test-updatesite/

cheers,
Nicolas

> Target
> www.targetgroup.net
>
> Target is a trading name of Target Group Limited,
> registered in England and Wales No. 1208137
> Registered office:  Target House, Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff CF11 9AU

> DISCLAIMER.
> This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may
> contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.
> If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy,
> distribute or take any action or reliance upon it.
> The content of this message may also contain personal
> views of an employee of this company and does
> not necessarily represent the view of the company.
> This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-Virus.
> It has also been scanned by MAILsweeper to enforce our e-mail
> policy. If you have any concerns or comments about the content
> of this message, please  e-mail support@targetgroup.net.

> http://www.messagelabs.com

RE: Now Ivy RC2 is there a plan to add an IvyDE compatible version?

Posted by pa...@targetgroup.net.

The SpringIde had a similar unzip problem with RAD 7 installs. It turned
out the plugin jars were packed in Java 6 not 5.

This link might help in any resolution:

http://jira.springframework.org/browse/IDE-816

Target
www.targetgroup.net

Target is a trading name of Target Group Limited,
registered in England and Wales No. 1208137
Registered office:  Target House, Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff CF11 9AU

DISCLAIMER.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy,
distribute or take any action or reliance upon it.
The content of this message may also contain personal
views of an employee of this company and does
not necessarily represent the view of the company.
This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-Virus.
It has also been scanned by MAILsweeper to enforce our e-mail
policy. If you have any concerns or comments about the content
of this message, please  e-mail support@targetgroup.net.

http://www.messagelabs.com

RE: Now Ivy RC2 is there a plan to add an IvyDE compatible version?

Posted by pa...@targetgroup.net.

I can confirm I get an identical error using RAD 7 with all the latest fix
packs installed

Posted by Clements Mark <cl...@OFAC.CH>.
> I have just build a candidate to be released this morning [1], so
unless
> there are vetos, the next beta will be officially released next week.
>
> Nicolas
>
> [1] http://marc.info/?l=ant-dev&m=122778029204470&w=2

Hi Nicolas,
Thanks for the new beta. Although I can install it by unpacking the jars
manually, I am still unable to install in RAD 7 using the updatesite
(http://people.apache.org/~hibou/staging/updatesite/). Ivy 2.0.0.cr2
installs fine (if I deselect IvyDE), but the IvyDE update fails. The
error log contains (apologies for the wrapping):

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.core 4 0 2008-11-27 15:14:42.712
!MESSAGE Error retrieving
"plugins/org.apache.ivyde.eclipse_2.0.0.beta1.jar". [Error opening zip
file
C:\DOCUME~1\clements\LOCALS~1\Temp\eclipse\.update\1227795262540\1227795
262542\eclipse28296.tmp]
!STACK 0
java.util.zip.ZipException: Error opening zip file
C:\DOCUME~1\clements\LOCALS~1\Temp\eclipse\.update\1227795262540\1227795
262542\eclipse28296.tmp
	at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at
org.eclipse.update.internal.jarprocessor.JarProcessor.processJar(Unknown
Source)
	at
org.eclipse.update.internal.core.FeaturePackagedContentProvider.retrieve
LocalJar(Unknown Source)
	at
org.eclipse.update.internal.core.FeaturePackagedContentProvider.getPlugi
nEntryArchiveReferences(Unknown Source)
	at
org.eclipse.update.internal.operations.UpdateUtils.downloadFeatureConten
t(Unknown Source)
	at
org.eclipse.update.internal.ui.wizards.InstallWizard2.download(Unknown
Source)
	at
org.eclipse.update.internal.ui.wizards.InstallWizard2.access$3(Unknown
Source)
	at
org.eclipse.update.internal.ui.wizards.InstallWizard2$3.run(Unknown
Source)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Unknown Source)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 8 1 2008-11-27 15:14:44.290
!MESSAGE

I can successfully install other features and plugins (Findbugs, PMD,
subclipse, an in-house plugin). The problem is probably due to some
foible of RAD 7, but I thought you should be made aware of it in any
case. I'm aware that RAD 7.5 is a different beast altogether, but we
aren't in a position to migrate to that just yet.

Thanks again,

Mark

RE: Now Ivy RC2 is there a plan to add an IvyDE compatible version?

Posted by "Goldspink, Matt (IT)" <Ma...@morganstanley.com>.
That sounds great!

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
paul.newport@targetgroup.net a écrit :

> "I have just build a candidate to be released this morning [1], so unless
> there are vetos, the next beta will be officially released next week."
>
> Is there a URL for a beta version at the moment then ? I thought only the
> alpha was out ?

the alpha1 is officially released.
the beta1 I have build this morning is waiting for the vote so it can be
an official Apache release.
It is available there for testing and voting:
http://people.apache.org/~hibou/staging/updatesite
Thought I may redo it as there are issues with the pack200 compression
format.

> Is it still Eclipse 3.2 compatible ? (fingers crossed on that one).

yep it will, see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-120

Nicolas

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by "Goldspink, Matt (IT)" <Ma...@morganstanley.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by "Goldspink, Matt (IT)" <Ma...@morganstanley.com>.
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for the reply.

> Actually the new version of Ivy is already deployed in the IvyDE updatesite, you can update it.

It looks like Ivy RC2 is misspelt on the update site:

<feature url="features/org.apache.ivy.feature_2.0.0.cr2.jar" id="org.apache.ivy.feature" version="2.0.0.cr2">

This caused an issue in Eclipse 3.4 because we'd had a previous version of ivy installed which was spelt correctly (i.e. 2.0.0.rc1) and now Eclipse seems to think 2.0.0.cr2 is older and won't update without an uninstall. I assume its doing basic ascii comparison and 'r' being greater than 'c' is causing it to fail.

> Note that the current implementation of the "resolve in workspace"
> feature is quite experimental, not very clean, but is a first step towards a correct implementation. So use it with caution.

My team (15 globally) have been using this feature across a workspace of 20 interdependent projects and so far, aside from patches we have submitted, we have not had any issues. If any changes are made to the implementation I'd be happy to test them out since they will probabbly have a big impact on our team.

> But yes it is time to think about an IvyDE release, I will start a discussion on the dev mailing list.

Great! I'll keep an eye out for any updates.

Thanks,
Matt

Le 10 nov. 08 à 18:01, Goldspink, Matt (IT) a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Now that Ivy RC2 is out is it possible to get an IvyDE compatible
> version added to the IvyDE update site?

Actually the new version of Ivy is already deployed in the IvyDE updatesite, you can update it. The current released version of IvyDE

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.