Posted to builds@apache.org by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2014/06/24 12:43:51 UTC

Ubuntu node configuration

Hi,

we have a test issue with the PDFBox build [1].  Build #1077 [2] works fine and
#1078 is unstable due to some tests are failing. We didn't change anything
related. I had a look at the console log files. The working build was on ubuntu3
and the failing one on ubuntu1. It seems as if the issue depends on the node
configuration. I guess under the hood it's a JDK issue. The job uses "JDK 1.6
(latest)".

Does the configuration of the ubuntu nodes differ or is their configuration
supposed to be identical? If they are different, is there any chance to see what
this means on different nodes?

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

[1] https://builds.apache.org/job/PDFBox-trunk/
[2] https://builds.apache.org/job/PDFBox-trunk/1077/
[3] https://builds.apache.org/job/PDFBox-trunk/1078/

Re: Ubuntu node configuration

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi Gav,

thanks for looking into this

> Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> hat am 27. Juni 2014 um 11:12
> geschrieben:
>

> On 24/06/2014, at 11:43 AM, Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > we have a test issue with the PDFBox build [1].  Build #1077 [2] works fine
> > and
> > #1078 is unstable due to some tests are failing. We didn't change anything
> > related. I had a look at the console log files. The working build was on
> > ubuntu3
> > and the failing one on ubuntu1. It seems as if the issue depends on the node
> > configuration. I guess under the hood it's a JDK issue. The job uses "JDK
> > 1.6
> > (latest)".
> >
> > Does the configuration of the ubuntu nodes differ or is their configuration
> > supposed to be identical? If they are different, is there any chance to see
> > what
> > this means on different nodes?
>
> Configurations can vary on different nodes. They are not always identical nor
> should
> they be. Having said that, choosing latest java or latest ant etc should be
> the same on
> all nodes.
>
> In your case, ubuntu1 and ubuntu3 DO have identical versions of Java for
> latest1.6
> and that is 1.6.0_45 on both nodes.
That's odd I'd have bet it's the JDK.

> What else does the build use that we could check?
Hmmm, I have no real idea. It's a simple maven based build job, tiggered by
svn-changes.
The issue happens within a JUnit test, so most likely the culprit is something
within
the environment. As there is a problem with ICC-profiles it's maybe related to
some native
libs which are used by the JDK. Are there any differences within the OS itself?

Do you have any other idea?

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.