Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/07 22:31:12 UTC

Another Cool Code Optimization Tool

Hey Guys,

Have not actually played with this yet, but it looks
really useful for cleaning up code.

http://pmd.sourceforge.net/

I'm thinking we could use this to generate a report,
probably along with findbugs, and then use combine
that with the how to help section (Still gotta do that
to...after finishing up the JPackage stuff...)

Cheers,
- Ole

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Another Cool Code Optimization Tool

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jan 7, 2007, at 5:16 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2007, at 4:40 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Ole Ersoy a écrit :
>>
>>> Hey Guys,
>>>
>>> Have not actually played with this yet, but it looks
>>> really useful for cleaning up code.
>>>
>>> http://pmd.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>> Yeah, it's interesting. I have played with it in the last past years.
>>
>> Notice that you need to customize it, otherwize you will found
>> zillions of violations !!!
>>
>> Somthing that coule be very interesting - and not too complicated
>> - would be to integrate those tools into maven.
>> - pmd
>> - jdepend
>> - checkstyle
>> - findbugs
>>
>> wanna try ?
>
> There are already maven plugins for all of these, you just need to
> turn them on.  I think there's a dashboard of some kind for dealing
> with lots of reports at once, but I've never tried it.

For instance, here's what runs reports in cxf.  These plugins are
configured in pluginManagement.  This is in the root pom so all
modules get these reports.

     <reporting>
         <plugins>
             <plugin>
                 <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                 <artifactId>cobertura-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                 <version>${cobertura.version}</version>
             </plugin>
             <plugin>
                 <artifactId>maven-project-info-reports-plugin</
artifactId>
                 <version>${mprojectinfo.version}</version>
             </plugin>
             <!--   Codehaus is down
             <plugin>
                 <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                 <artifactId>jxr-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                 <version>${jxr.version}</version>
             </plugin>
             <plugin>
                 <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                 <artifactId>jdepend-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                 <version>${jdepend.version}</version>
             </plugin>
             -->
             <plugin>
                 <artifactId>maven-surefire-report-plugin</artifactId>
                 <version>${surefire-report.version}</version>
             </plugin>
             <plugin>
                 <version>${javadoc.version}</version>
             </plugin>
             <plugin>
                 <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
             </plugin>
             <plugin>
                 <artifactId>maven-pmd-plugin</artifactId>
             </plugin>
         </plugins>
     </reporting>

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hey here's another cool tool:

http://clirr.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Yes,

Cool - saw that - Thanks David!

Right now the JPackage stuff is my priority numero
uno.
(With respect to ADS I think it should be my priority
numero 3, but I need a clean ADS install + the same
for a other servers built with Maven, so it gets my
personal bump).

Then documentation system stuff.
I'm priortizing that secondary because
I think it's really important to have a
structured and clean process around which
to grow documentation, while tying that
documentation closely to the code base,
etc. etc. etc.

Then I need to document stuff around how
other people can be of more help, so that we
can get more transparency there.  I actually
think this is the most important thing, because
having a transparent and simple way of
letting others help, and making this as simple
as possible, minimizing drag and maximizing progress
is just really really really important.  Whenever
someone touches ADS anywhere (Documentation, code
review, etc. there should be a corresponding how to
help gateway, that can capture improvements that our
audience have with respect to the area that they just
saw.  The ADS project has to be able to extract as
much value out of the deliverables donated as
possible.

So basically here's how you can help

 >>> Pointing to various work queues >>>

Documentation for how to do the work >>>

Result Expectations  = As much automated
deliverable checking as possible.

Some of us might say "Hey - Dud - It's called JIRA",
but it needs to be simpler with a lot more standards /
conventions, and more automation.

Then I can start playing with the code quality
reporting automation some more.  The results of
the reports should feed into a work queues, where
committers can pick up tasks and go, being supported
by quick cookbook how to guidance.

So that's my plan.

Lets Roll!!

- Ole