Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org> on 2011/11/08 17:38:01 UTC

The Old OOo Site

Hi,
I periodically (read: every day) receive requests from OOo community
members and OOo users to fix, alter or otherwise change the OOo site
(www.openoffice.org). These requests include such things as expunging
private information as well as normal updates.

As we all know, the old OOo site is pretty much in the past, and we
are progressively moving to the new.

But: I'd like to have some more concrete information to provide, and
ideally, be able to address the requests, too.

Thanks
Louis <-the person formerly known as the OOo Community Manager

Re: The Old OOo Site

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On 8 November 2011 15:52, eric b <er...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 8 nov. 11 à 17:38, Louis Suárez-Potts a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>> I periodically (read: every day) receive requests from OOo community
>> members and OOo users to fix, alter or otherwise change the OOo site
>> (www.openoffice.org). These requests include such things as expunging
>> private information as well as normal updates.
>>
>> As we all know, the old OOo site is pretty much in the past, and we are
>> progressively moving to the new.
>>
>> But: I'd like to have some more concrete information to provide, and
>> ideally, be able to address the requests, too.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Louis <-the person formerly known as the OOo Community Manager
>

> The previous "Community management" was a total mess. I hope we will not
> redo the same errors.

I'll almost ignore the implied insult. It's irrelevant and beside the
point. I am not being paid at all to do what I did before, which was
to do the impossible, of representing both corporate interests and
community desires and trying to reconcile and move ahead productively.

Rather, as my post ought to suggest, I am simply interested in helping
out those who are still posting requests to me, and certainly would be
quite interested in helping those who are doing work on the new site.

This is a new project, for all I can see, and its "management" (a term
more or less unused and undefined and unwanted in Apache-land,
afaict)—is really up to those who are doing things. I personally would
really rather like to see new things arise from this new effort and
new community esprit de corps evolve, not tired, bickering legacy
things.

Louis

Re: The Old OOo Site

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.

Re: The Old OOo Site

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Louis,

Welcome. I'm Dave Fisher and with Kay Schenk andothers have been working on migrating the OOo website.

We have a staging site at http://ooo-site.apache.org/

I'd reply at greater length. but I am packing to head to Apachecon right now.

Best Regards,
Dave

Re: The Old OOo Site

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
Louis et al --

I am re-doing a lot of what we've already got on --

http://ooo-site.apache.org

(changes may not yet be reflected because I haven't "republished" yet. See
staging site at: http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org )

because some of the initial copies weren't complete, so I may actually be
picking up a lot of these changes. I'm going back through the "Accepted
Projects" sites over this next week and hope to be finished by Nov 26.

Because of the way the current OOo svn is setup for these sites, it's
really difficult to track ongoing changes in a "bulk" fashion (as near as I
can tell). If there's some trick or tool that can be accessed to deal with
the "entire" tree at once, that would be super.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Louis--
>
> Good to know you're still around frankly! [?]
>
> Ditto Dave's response...if you just let up know what pages have been
> changed that would be great! We brought a great deal over, but, as we're
> discovering, much needs to be fine tuned and/or redone. I am actually
> working on the "old/new" site today! Hopefully it won't be too many and we
> can try a re-pull on a weekly basis or something.
>
> Or, as Rob suggests, file an issue with through the new BZ and include
> changed pages as attachments would be ideal so we make sure we have the
> changes barring any unforeseen outages.
>

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> > There is not. We at OOo also had a high bar—OOo site was predicated on
>> > the Apache model, and that's no coincidence: Brian B. had a hand in
>> > both. However, personal info does creep in when people erroneously
>> > post their private information, such as phone numbers, to public
>> > lists, unaware—!!— just how public the lists are.
>> >
>> >  But this does happen, with mailing list archives, for

>> > Rob, you don't get just how naive some of the users of OOo are and how
>> > naive even those posting to the lists were. Perhaps you are unaware of
>> > how popular OOo remains? Few of these users would even know how to
>> > file an issue.

>> > I am referring to www.openoffice.org/ You have not answered the
>> > question—but I didn't think you could. The point is double:
>> >
>> > 1. Can I alter the old site, www.openoffice.org/
>>
>> Yes, but please keep us informed as a lot has been ported to
>> ooo-site.apache.org
>>
>> > 2. When will the old site fully migrate to the new, and when that
>> > happens, what sort of content control would I (or someone like me)
>> > have?
>>
>> The whole of the new site at ooo-site is under the Apache CMS and can be
>> edited with the webgui by a committer. Patches accepted from others.
>>
>> See the podling site for instructions. Others can give details as I have
>> to run.
>>
>> BR,
>> Dave
>>

>> > thanks
>> > louis

> MzK
>
> "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
>  by the way its animals are treated."
>                               -- Mohandas Gandhi

MzK

Re: The Old OOo Site

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Louis--

Re: The Old OOo Site

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,
[First, of course, I've been following you, Kay [howdy KS!] and others
as the site has osmotically moved over to Apache; and that it has
reached the point it has to a large degree prompts my intervention (as
they say in academia, referring to participation in a conversation).
You guys really have done brilliantly, and it very much makes me
believe that the new site, the new project, the new effort has every
expectation of succeeding and doing far better than ever the old did.]

On 8 November 2011 12:05, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

>>> Hopefully there is not a lot of personal information on the public
>>> website.
>>
>> There is not. We at OOo also had a high bar—OOo site was predicated on
>> the Apache model, and that's no coincidence: Brian B. had a hand in
>> both. However, personal info does creep in when people erroneously
>> post their private information, such as phone numbers, to public
>> lists, unaware—!!— just how public the lists are.
>>
>>  But this does happen, with mailing list archives, for
>>> example.  Apache has a policy for this.  It essentially sets a high
>>> bar for removing information from public archives:
>>>
>>> http://apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html
>>>
>>> For other information on the website, I'd recommend having them enter
>>> an issue in Bugzilla, classified as the "www" product.  Hopefully
>>> we'll be cutting over to the new Apache-hosted version of these pages
>>> soon, and we can apply requested changes then.
>>
>> Rob, you don't get just how naive some of the users of OOo are and how
>> naive even those posting to the lists were. Perhaps you are unaware of
>> how popular OOo remains? Few of these users would even know how to
>> file an issue.
>>

>>> Of course, if there is something of a truly urgent nature, then
>>> escalate that, via ooo-private if appropriate.
>>
>> I am referring to www.openoffice.org/ You have not answered the
>> question—but I didn't think you could. The point is double:
>>
>> 1. Can I alter the old site, www.openoffice.org/
>
> Yes, but please keep us informed as a lot has been ported to ooo-site.apache.org

Right, of course; as it happens, I just tried to change some content
on the old site, using CVS and couldn't. I'll have to re-add my ssh2
key, but not sure—have not checked today—if I even  have admin
privileges there any longer.

>> 2. When will the old site fully migrate to the new, and when that
>> happens, what sort of content control would I (or someone like me)
>> have?
>
> The whole of the new site at ooo-site is under the Apache CMS and can be edited with the webgui by a committer. Patches accepted from others.

Yes, and I'll see if at some point I merit commit status to the new
site. But do we have a schedule of delivery? I ask not to be
annoying—I do that anyway—but so that I can communicate that to those
asking me about it.

> See the podling site for instructions. Others can give details as I have to run.

Thanks, I shall, and enjoy. Wish I were able to join you in
ApacheCon—but say hi to my friends there, including my colleague Rory
and also Zak.

> BR,
> Dave

Ciao
Louis

Re: The Old OOo Site

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

RE: The Old OOo Site

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Short addition:

 1. There are alternatives to using SVN from the command line.  I use TortoiseSVN quite happily.

 2. Louis is an Apache OO.o incubator committer and can start working at once.

 3. I would not consider the old site "dead" but I agree that many changes should be made at our staging version in anticipation of cutover.

 4. Granting that new changes to the current site will likely not be merged into the staging site and be lost at cutover, there might still be useful cut-over anticipating adjustments to the old site, both so that visitors know what is coming and also that there may be some breakage already and also for a short time after cut-over.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
<ls...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 November 2011 11:49, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I periodically (read: every day) receive requests from OOo community
>>> members and OOo users to fix, alter or otherwise change the OOo site
>>> (www.openoffice.org). These requests include such things as expunging
>>> private information as well as normal updates.
>>>
>>> As we all know, the old OOo site is pretty much in the past, and we
>>> are progressively moving to the new.
>>>
>>> But: I'd like to have some more concrete information to provide, and
>>> ideally, be able to address the requests, too.
>>>

>> Hopefully there is not a lot of personal information on the public
>> website.
>
> There is not. We at OOo also had a high bar—OOo site was predicated on
> the Apache model, and that's no coincidence: Brian B. had a hand in
> both. However, personal info does creep in when people erroneously
> post their private information, such as phone numbers, to public
> lists, unaware—!!— just how public the lists are.

Understood.

>  But this does happen, with mailing list archives, for
>> example.  Apache has a policy for this.  It essentially sets a high
>> bar for removing information from public archives:
>>
>> http://apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html
>>
>> For other information on the website, I'd recommend having them enter
>> an issue in Bugzilla, classified as the "www" product.  Hopefully
>> we'll be cutting over to the new Apache-hosted version of these pages
>> soon, and we can apply requested changes then.
>
> Rob, you don't get just how naive some of the users of OOo are and how
> naive even those posting to the lists were. Perhaps you are unaware of
> how popular OOo remains? Few of these users would even know how to
> file an issue.

Well, you could enter an BZ issue for them if needed.  Or ask them to
send a note to ooo-dev list or even the legacy OOo users list.  We
have eyes almost everywhere...except for your personal mail box.  So
getting them to make a request on any public list associated with the
project will be noted.

Re: The Old OOo Site

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.

Re: The Old OOo Site

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I periodically (read: every day) receive requests from OOo community
> members and OOo users to fix, alter or otherwise change the OOo site
> (www.openoffice.org). These requests include such things as expunging
> private information as well as normal updates.
>
> As we all know, the old OOo site is pretty much in the past, and we
> are progressively moving to the new.
>
> But: I'd like to have some more concrete information to provide, and
> ideally, be able to address the requests, too.

Hopefully there is not a lot of personal information on the public
website.  But this does happen, with mailing list archives, for

Re: The Old OOo Site

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
The best place to get an overview on the technical work of
decomissioning the Oracle-hosted *.openoffice.org sites and
reconstructing (or merging, etc.) the pages on ASF hosting is:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OpenOffice.org+Migration+Status

Similarly, I'm sure plenty of users have lots of questions about what is
happening to the many @openoffice.org mailing lists:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Mailing+lists

Note that the OOOUSERS wiki allows anyone to sign up for an account to
make edits; an iCLA is not required.

- Shane