Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2004/01/08 22:25:35 UTC

[Proposal] Move Excalibur Event to Jakarta Commons

I believe that Event would be better served by the Commons community, and I am
willing to oversee the migration of this move and ensure it fits nicely with
the new community.  I have already sent a feeler question to the Jakarta Commons
community, and they feel that it would make a nice addition.

I think the other community would be better suited to provide better support for
the library than this one--especially considering the fact that it is not a core
art for the Avalon project.

What does everyone think?

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: [Proposal] Move Excalibur Event to Jakarta Commons

Posted by Jonathan Hawkes <jh...@adsnm.com>.
Conceptually, probably most of the Excalibur package belongs in Commons.
However, as has been mentioned, things have the tendency to get lost in
Commons.  Documentation and the site layout is poor.  I browse Commons CVS
from time to time, but I find few packages truly useful.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Peter Courcoux said:
> I am not sure why, but I think that once code gets to commons it
> becomes less 'supported' by those that wrote and understand it,
> who tend to concentrate, understandably, on the major projects,
> Avalon, Cocoon, Turbine etc. that they are involved in. Also the
> volume of mail is huge and difficult to follow and I think things
> get lost.

1. I don't know if what Peter says is correct or not.

2. IF Avalon + Maven + (whoever.needed) manage to get together and
make REAL browsable Component Libraries a reality, then
Jakarta-Commons wouldn't need to exist, or at least not "for
everything", which now seems to be the case.

3. A follow-up question would also be, Why Event only? Why not the
entire Excalibur and Cornerstone?

I don't have a strong opinion about it, for a change :o)

Niclas

Re: [Proposal] Move Excalibur Event to Jakarta Commons

Posted by Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz>.
My experience of commons has been mixed.

I am not sure why, but I think that once code gets to commons it becomes
less 'supported' by those that wrote and understand it, who tend to
concentrate, understandably, on the major projects, Avalon, Cocoon,
Turbine etc. that they are involved in. Also the volume of mail is huge
and difficult to follow and I think things get lost.

I also think that it is less of a community than it might be. Here at
Avalon, if one person does not deal with a query, then someone else
tries to help. While this does happen with respect to a few commons
libraries, queries regarding others get totally ignored. ( I have some
unanswered messages from June last year, despite the occasional prompt.
) I may be putting this badly but I think there is less pride felt by
developers about commons than about, say, Avalon or Turbine etc. Here,
you make an effort and put yourself out. If it is commons you don't seem
to.

Secondly, Avalon is different. Take the logging issues. It has taken a
lot of work to get the message across about the problems with using
commons-logging with IOC.

If it was written for Avalon keep it here unless there is pressure to
move it. It is easier to maintain here and will be maintained using
Avalon style.

Commons is an excellent idea, I'm not sure it is working though. My
current view would be to keep code here that is used here, but to ask
commons and others to link to it if it could be of interest.

I think it would be less work to add a few links and a bit of
documentation than to read the commons-dev list, but I can safely say
this as I'm not a committer and can't get roped into maintaining
anything :-)

Just my £0.02 worth.

( But I am a little biased and fed up with no-one at commons even
telling 2 minutes to tell me how bad my ideas are ;-) )

Peter

--
Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz>

Re: [Proposal] Move Excalibur Event to Jakarta Commons

Posted by Jonathan Hawkes <jh...@adsnm.com>.
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > What does everyone think?
>
> +0. I have no reason to move it and no reason not to move it. I'm sure
> the library will receive as least as much support in commons as it does
> over here.

> It may even attract new audiences.

Sounds more like a +0.5

Re: [Proposal] Move Excalibur Event to Jakarta Commons

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> What does everyone think?

+0. I have no reason to move it and no reason not to move it. I'm sure
the library will receive as least as much support in commons as it does
over here. It may even attract new audiences.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons