Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/06/05 11:22:48 UTC

whimsy.conf - use symlinks instead of rubys?

I noticed that a lot of manual editing was required to make whimsy.conf
work.  It is replacing "/Users/rubys/git/whimsy" with where I had whimsy
checked out.  But it seems like we shouldn't necessarily need whimsy
checked out, but instead a folder for whimsy, which could be a symlink.  It
would be better if we could standardize this file and recommend in the
setup instructions that people create symlink from /srv/www/whimsy (for
instance) to wherever they have whimsy checked out.

John

Re: whimsy.conf - use symlinks instead of rubys?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 7:22 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> I noticed that a lot of manual editing was required to make whimsy.conf
> work.  It is replacing "/Users/rubys/git/whimsy" with where I had whimsy
> checked out.  But it seems like we shouldn't necessarily need whimsy
> checked out, but instead a folder for whimsy, which could be a symlink.  It
> would be better if we could standardize this file and recommend in the
> setup instructions that people create symlink from /srv/www/whimsy (for
> instance) to wherever they have whimsy checked out.

The directory name on whimsy-vm4.apache.org is /srv/whimsy.  Updating
the install instructions to presume that there is a symlink by that
name would be fine with me.

> John

- Sam Ruby