Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by bryan rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/01 20:23:52 UTC

couchdb and static site generation?

Hey,

I haven't been using couchdb for a number of years (due to work
requirements always suggesting something else but I did make a couple
medium size sites at one time)
Now I am starting a personal site and I am thinking I would like to do it
as a static site generator using Couchdb.

The reason for this is - I have used docpad in the past, and looked at all
the various node.js static site generators and I feel that they are all
inadequate for my needs as well as feeling sort of inefficient. The more I
think about it I feel like I would want to use couchdb, but I mean it is
sort of an intuition at this point because it's been so many years since
I've used it.

So anyway, I'm hoping for recommendations before I get started - especially
regarding

1. does anyone already have a static site generator written in couchdb open
sourced anywhere.
2. if you were building a static site generator using couchdb how would you
go about it - any libaries tools you would recommend?

As for what my current plan is (in case you can see some points to improve):

Couchdb would be used as the document store, the rest api would be used to
generate various static html files that would be saved into a logical
folder structure.

The client that builds etc. is in node.js (I've been thinking of learning
elixir [have played with erlang in the past] so if anyone can make a good
argument why that would be a good language to use for this go ahead)

Data has to be presented in multiple views - a front page view (showing
portions of new content sorted descending)
subsite views ( showing portions of new content chosen by particular
metadata sorted descending)
randomized views for particular collections (generated I suppose once per
day)
ability to see works by author ( as there may be multiple authors involved)

The actual site will probably just be a very small express.js app that
takes routes and serves the static files, however because of the elixir
thing maybe should use phoenix for this.

anyway a typical blog but also something that should be adaptable enough to
work as mid-level typical media site.

Thanks,
Bryan Rasmussen

Re: couchdb and static site generation?

Posted by Martin Broerse <in...@martinbroerse.com>.
Hej Bryan,

You can also use Ember. A working example that uses
https://github.com/martinic/ember-cli-deploy-couchdb to deploy your site on
a CouchDB cluster: https://github.com/broerse/ember-cli-blog

A demo version hosted on cloudant: http://bloggr.exmer.com/

To  deploy this I just have to run `ember deploy production` and it will
build the Ember App as CouchApp and update it to cloudant.  To develop just
run it locally: `ember s`

- Martin

Posted by Diego Medina <di...@fmpwizard.com>.
Hi,

I'm doing something that may be similar to your idea. I use couchdb to
store my data, in my case it is mls property data. then I wrote an app in Go
https://golang.org/  that queries some views in couch and generates json
files, which then Hugo https <https://gohugo.io/>:// <https://gohugo.io/>
gohugo.io/ <https://gohugo.io/> uses to generate the actual site.

How this helps

Diego

Posted by Whorn <th...@googlemail.com>.
I have described an approach with an _update handler here

http://blog.lbl.io/post/static-websites-and-blogs-with-CouchDB

Ingo

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.