Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> on 2006/10/18 16:13:17 UTC

Ivy at the Apache incubator

Hi,

the Ivy project [1], a dependency manager for Java builds, is thinking about its future and wants to become a true Open Source project [2]. We have been in contact, particularly with Xavier Hanin, to discuss the possibility of Ivy moving to the ASF.

The Ivy project has prepared a proposal to join the ASF incubator [3].

The Ant PMC has just voted the following resolution :
------------------------
The Ant PMC sponsors Ivy moving to the Apache Incubator.
If the Ivy community wishes to move Ivy to become an Ant subproject after successful incubation, and if the ASF board agrees to it, Ant will welcome Ivy as a subproject after the incubation period.
------------------------

The proposal still needs people willing to take the champion and mentor roles at the incubator in behalf of Ivy. See [4] for a full explanation.

The champion can be any member of the Ant PMC or a member of the ASF.
The mentor has to be a member of the ASF.

Regards,

Antoine

[1] http://www.jayasoft.org/ivy
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/ivy-future
[3] http://svn.jayasoft.org/projects/tools/ivy/doc/apache-proposal.txt
[4] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html

Re: Ivy at the Apache incubator

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/20/06, Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 10/20/06, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>
> > wrote:

> > mentor for Ivy's
> > more familiar with

> > have little time for it
> > myself as a mentor due to
> > the better. So if it
> > I'd like more people
> > spare cycles than I have

> > number of mentors and if any
> > Stefan/Steve/Conor can also devote a
> > welcome too.

> > work, so I could justify
> > to jira defect 7,
> > > "Build

> > it seems that Stephane is
> > number of mentors. And the
> > > more
> > So, do you agree to be
> > > all
> > >
> > > You can add me. Do you have anyone other than from
> > the Ant team?
> >

> > Not for the moment. I will try to find one, but I
> > don't know many people
> > from the ASF...
>
> What about Sylvain Wallez?  I thought his intent was
> to be a mentor as well.

I had no news from him recently, but I think he's very busy for the moment.
I'll send him a personal e-mail to know if he's interested.

- Xavier

-Matt

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
> Contributor would be anybody who contributes to the project in any
> way.  I guess you read committer instead of contributor.  Committers
> are voted in based on their contributions - not necessarily code
> contributions, it could be contributions to documentation or "just"
> discussions on the mailing lists.

Yes, hmmm, I know of someone that "just" contributes to the mailing lists ;-)

Having implemented in the past something akin to Ivy (albeit much less
polished), I might contribute ideas and opinion, but I don't foresee
having enough bandwidth for more. --DD

Re: Ivy at the Apache incubator

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/06, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm happy to help out with patches etc, but I doubt I have time
>> right now to be considered a 'mentor'
>>
>> I barely have the time to read the ant dev mails.
>>
>> I'd love to have more free time to help with this, but put me down
>> as a 'contributor' at least :)
>

> I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with the apache roles, but I
> thought to become contributor you first need to submit patches.

Contributor would be anybody who contributes to the project in any
way.  I guess you read committer instead of contributor.  Committers
are voted in based on their contributions - not necessarily code
contributions, it could be contributions to documentation or "just"
discussions on the mailing lists.

Stefan

Re: Ivy at the Apache incubator

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/24/06, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Xavier,
>
> > I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with the apache roles, but I thought to
> > become contributor  you first need to submit patches.
>
> Yes that's what the role 'contributor' means
>
> > But maybe you already
> > did with a nick name? Sorry if my question is stupid, I have no problem
> > add people as contributor, I just want to respect Apache policy.
> >

> I'm sorry I should have explained myself a little more.  I don't think
> I'll have enough time (or experience) to act as a champion or mentor,
> but I should have time to contribute patches as and when the Ivy
> codebase turns up in the apache incubator svn repo.
>
> So 'put me down as a contributor' == I'm willing and should have the
> time to contribute code/doc changes

Ok,  thanks for the detailed explanation, so I'm looking forward to hearing
from you on upcoming Ivy mailing lists :-)

Xavier

Thanks,

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/20/06, Stephane Bailliez <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve Loughran wrote:
> >
> > We are certainly thinking about using it at work, so I could justify
> > involvement as a work-related-activity, related to jira defect 7,
> > "Build process is over-complex and brittle" :)
> >
> > http://jira.smartfrog.org/jira/browse/SFOS-7
> So come and join the fun then. :)
>
> I think I will have to devote quite more than a few cycles anyway as I
> will probably be more enclined to submit patches w/ the ASF
> infrastructure, and once Xavier has enough of it I will commit straight.
> :) I'm using Ivy heavily right now for our build system and even though
> I don't expect to really change the core of it, there are a few things I
> will probably clean up.

Great, I'm looking forward to apply your patches :-)

And more docs is always welcome.

You can't be more true!

Xavier

-- stephane

Re: Ivy at the Apache incubator

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/23/06, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Add me as a mentor, if you want.  So far I didn't volunteer since I
>> don't think I have enough time to commit, but I'd subscribe to the
>> ivy lists and have an eye on it anyway ...
>

> Great! I've just submitted the proposal to the incubator mailing
> list, so I don't know how to do now to add you to the list. Maybe
> you can post your intention on the incubator mailing list?

Will do.

Stefan

Re: Ivy at the Apache incubator

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/24/06, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Xavier Hanin wrote:

> >> Add me as a mentor, if you want.  So far I didn't volunteer since I
> >> don't think I have enough time to commit, but I'd subscribe to the ivy
> >> lists and have an eye on it anyway ...
> >

> > Great! I've just submitted the proposal to the incubator mailing list,
> so I
> > don't know how to do now to add you to the list. Maybe you can post your
> > intention on the incubator mailing list?
> >

> Presumably I should sub to yet-another-apache-list too, then? Incubator?
> And will there then be a separate ivy one, or is everything done under
> the incubator list first?

As far as I understand the general incubator mailing list is used to submit
the proposal and vote for it. If the proposal is accepted, "we" can setup
the infrastructure with ivy specific mailing lists (as requested in the
proposal). Then the general incubator mailing list won't be useful anymore
for Ivy until we cast a vote for graduation.

But this is only my understanding from what I've read, I'm still far from
being accustomed to Apache process.

Xavier

-steve

Re: Ivy at the Apache incubator

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@gmail.com>.
Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to be the champion and the first mentor for Ivy's incubation
> process.
> I hope there will be a second mentor, maybe more familiar with
> legal/organizational/foundation aspects.

I would like to get involved in it but will have little time for it
Not sure it would be respectful to consider myself as a mentor due to
the above though but I guess the more we have the better. So if it
should be qualified as a mentor, so be it but I'd like more people
involved as mentor. And if someone has more spare cycles than I have I'd
be glad to leave the seat.

I don't think there is any limit to the number of mentors and if any
long time involved members like Stefan/Steve/Conor can also devote a few
little spare cycles as a mentor that would be welcome too.

Volunteers ? :)

-- stephane

Re: Ivy at the Apache incubator

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Excellent news Antoine, thanks a lot for your support!

I hope others of you will join us to help Ivy become an Apache project.

Regards,
Xavier

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi,