Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeff Squyres <js...@cisco.com> on 2007/02/08 14:56:25 UTC

Problem with 1.4.x "svn co -r XXX ..."?

Greetings.

I have noticed what *may* be a problem in the 1.4 series of the svn
client.  I'm using SVN 1.4.2 on both OSX and Linux.  I checked the
CHANGES file for 1.4.3 and don't see anything related to this issues,
so I'm guessing/assuming it's a "problem" there as well (I say
"problem" because this is based on my understanding of how a
particular feature in the svn client should work; please feel free to
correct me!).

I'm trying to do a checkout of a branch that no longer exists at the
HEAD of my repo.  So I'm giving a specific r number in the checkout
-- an r number where the branch *did* exist, like this:

   shell$ svn co -r 12059 https://.....

But I get back the following message:

-----
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/ompi/!svn/bc/13556/tmp/tbird'
svn: '/svn/ompi/!svn/bc/13556/tmp/tbird' path not found
-----

Note that r13356 is my current HEAD.  Hmm.  That's confusing -- why
is it complaining that the branch doesn't exist at the HEAD?  I
assumed that "-r 12059" would tell it to check out at r12059 (where
the branch *does* exist).  Indeed, that's what "svn help co" implies:

-----
[snipped]
   -r [--revision] arg      : ARG (some commands also take ARG1:ARG2
range)
                              A revision argument can be one of:
                                 NUMBER       revision number
                                 '{' DATE '}' revision at start of
the date
                                 'HEAD'       latest in repository
                                 'BASE'       base rev of item's
working copy
                                 'COMMITTED'  last commit at or
before BASE
                                 'PREV'       revision just before
COMMITTED
[snipped]
-----

I used the other syntax (appending "@12059" to my URL) and was able
to get a checkout of the branch that I wanted:

   shell$ svn co https://.....@12059

Is the -r option broken, or am I mis-understanding the help text?

Thanks!

--
Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit

Re: Problem with 1.4.x "svn co -r XXX ..."?

Posted by Jeff Squyres <js...@cisco.com>.
Wow -- even after using svn for about 3 years, I had no idea there
was a difference between operative-rev's and peg-rev's.

Thanks!

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.