Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Giles, Bear" <bg...@cybersource.com> on 2013/10/08 23:17:20 UTC

maven assembly: different behavior on Jenkins

I'm seeing weird behavior when running maven assembly on Jenkins.

My assembly descriptor, stripped down, is

<dependencySet>
   <includes>
      <include>${project.groupId}:*:jar</include>
      <include>${project.groupId}:*:va</include>
   </include>
   <outputFileNameMapping>${artifact.artifactId}.${artifact.extension}</outputFileNameMapping>
</dependencySet>

<dependencySet>
   <outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
   <includes/>
   <excludes>
      <exclude>${project.groupId}:*</exclude>
   </excludes>
</dependencySet>

(The 'va' classifier is used for custom skinny wars. They'll built and installed earlier.)

The results on my desktop are what you would expect.

On Jenkins it looks like everything is run through the first stanza - all in the parent directory, all have versions stripped. Worse I'm also seeing the standard .war file in addition to the 'va' .war files. In short it's acting like <includes/> instead of one that specifies only a handful of dependencies.
Both systems are running Maven 2.2.1 and other builds are successful. It's just this plugin that's acting squirrelly. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bear

RE: maven assembly: different behavior on Jenkins

Posted by "Giles, Bear" <bg...@cybersource.com>.
I've finally been able to track down the problem. My pom.xml file didn't specify a version for maven-assembly-plugin. On my system it worked. On the build server and a coworker's system it failed despite everyone running the same version of maven.

Once I explicitly specified a version it started working everywhere.

Bear