Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Edwin Relf <ea...@internode.on.net> on 2012/04/09 06:45:09 UTC

Windows 7

For the life of me I cannot find how to or what file to download Jena ARQ.
Nor can I find how to install it.  I assume others have had this problem.
Can anyone point me to a forum where a solution to this problem is
articulated?   Thanks Edwin.

RE: Windows 7

Posted by Edwin Relf <ea...@internode.on.net>.
Thanks Palo

Yes I've spent hours exploring that site and downloading the zip and other
files in the 'Parent Directory'.  No luck.  There isn't an installation
file, a .exe file or a .jar file.  I assume that whatever it is will run on
a java console ... but there is no indication how jena will find java.

I've opened the folder from the Firefox browser.  I can read any or the
files but nothing happens.  This is the nearest to an installation
instruction :
	"To use Jena in your application, ensure all the .jar files in the
lib/
   directory are on the classpath or available to your web application. Jena
   is built and test with these .jar files."

No where on the site does it indicate that the program will not work on
Windows (or any operating system for that matter).

Apache Jena includes ARQ, download this file:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/jena/apache-jena-2.7.0-incubating.zip

Paolo

Re: Windows 7

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Edwin,

Re: Windows 7

Posted by Robert Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.
Hi Edwin

If you are looking for Windows based tooling for RDF/SPARQL you may also want to look at [1] which is another open source project I've worked on besides Jena

Hope this helps,

Rob

[1]: http://www.dotnetrdf.org/content.asp?pageID=Tools

Re: Windows 7

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Paolo Castagna wrote:
> this is how I install Apache Jena (which includes ARQ):

By the way, in a similar way you can install Fuseki which includes: Jena, ARQ, TDB and Jetty to serve the HTTP stuff.

cd /tmp
wget http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/jena/jena-fuseki-0.2.1-incubating/jena-fuseki-0.2.1-incubating-distribution.zip
unzip jena-fuseki-0.2.1-incubating-distribution.zip
cd jena-fuseki-0.2.1-incubating-distribution

Verify and load data:
java -cp fuseki-server.jar tdb.tdbloader --version
java -cp fuseki-server.jar tdb.tdbloader --loc=/tmp/tdb /path/to/data/*.nt

Run the server:
./fuseki-server --loc /tmp/tdb --update /datasetname

Open your browser:
firefor http://127.0.0.1:3030

Or use it from a command line (i.e. Ruby scripts):
cd /tmp/jena-fuseki-0.2.1-incubating-distribution/
chmod +x s-*
./s-query --service=http://127.0.0.1:3030/datasetname/sparql
--output=text "SELECT * { ..."

Documentation here:
http://incubator.apache.org/jena/documentation/serving_data/

I used /tmp just for this example, pick you location.
Once again, this is on Linux|UNIX on Windows you need to slightly adapt a few commands... but, it's mainly: download, unzip, load some data and run.
Fuseki offers you a SPARQL endpoint over HTTP and you can use your favorite HTTP client.

Paolo

Re: Windows 7

Posted by Paolo Castagna <ca...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Edwin,
this is how I install Apache Jena (which includes ARQ):

wget http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/jena/apache-jena-2.7.0-incubating/apache-jena-2.7.0-incubating.zip
unzip apache-jena-2.7.0-incubating.zip
cd apache-jena-2.7.0-incubating
cat README ;-)
export JENAROOT=/tmp/apache-jena-2.7.0-incubating
export PATH=$JENAROOT/bin:$PATH

Load (in-memory, for small datasets only) some data and run a query:

arq --data=filename.nt "SELECT * { ..."
arq --data=filename.nt --query filename.rq

See also:
arq --help

Documentation here:
http://incubator.apache.org/jena/documentation/query/

On a Windows system there are small changes ';' instead of ':' for environment variables and a different way to the them.

Paolo

RE: Windows 7

Posted by Edwin Relf <ea...@internode.on.net>.

Re: Windows 7